• E. Davis
    replied
    Boo-hiss...thats awful.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    Originally posted by skyway View Post
    Must be some pretty tiny alligators?
    Guess so. BTW, do you know the easy way to tell and alligator from a crocodile? One will see you later, the other will see you in a while.

Leave a comment:

• skyway
    replied
    Must be some pretty tiny alligators?

Leave a comment:

• studebakerkid
    replied
    I would also try a long piece of PVC tubeing attached to your shop vac to tyr ans suck the magnet and rubbing block out.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Some people call it an alligator clip.....just sayin'

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Haven't heard anybody call it a roach clip in maybe 40 years.
    Well I forgot what it's really called. It has been remanded to the tool box.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Haven't heard anybody call it a roach clip in maybe 40 years.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    If you can turn the pinion, it is easy to remove the carrier. Drain it, remove the cover, and axles, remove the 4 bolts that attach the carrier. Now all you need to do is to place a shop rag between the ring and pinion teeth and turn the pinion. The carrier will back right out. To re-install, just use a dead blow hammer to seat in place, and reverse the removal process.
    I tried this method, and it worked for me! Actually, I did not fully remove the carrier, (Spare tire recess kept it from moving further) but when about 1/2 of the splined hole was visible, I was able to reach in with a roach clip and remove the magnet and replace the pin.

Thank you everyone!

Leave a comment:

• 64studeavanti
    replied
    If you can turn the pinion, it is easy to remove the carrier. Drain it, remove the cover, and axles, remove the 4 bolts that attach the carrier. Now all you need to do is to place a shop rag between the ring and pinion teeth and turn the pinion. The carrier will back right out. To re-install, just use a dead blow hammer to seat in place, and reverse the removal process.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Take it over to any decent 4wd shop. They work on Dana 44's all the time and have you fixed up in a couple of hours.
    The forum isn't going to fix your problem....
    There is a case spreader tool made that will assist in the removal and reinstallation of your carrier.
    But the cost of the tool will be more than having a shop pop out your carrier, grab the loose pieces, and put it back in.
    Since you are not changing any settings, no readjustment is needed (unless your tooth pattern shows something irregular.

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
    I'm afraid the magnet may be inside the chunk, I can't see it looking down the tube. And I think it may be holding the thrust block in place, so that I can't get it back out.

How horrible a job is it to remove the chunk with the axle in the car? Will I need any of the special tools to remove and replace?

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    I'm afraid the magnet may be inside the chunk, I can't see it looking down the tube. And I think it may be holding the thrust block in place, so that I can't get it back out.

How horrible a job is it to remove the chunk with the axle in the car? Will I need any of the special tools to remove and replace?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    If the lost Magnet is pretty strong, it very well may be stuck to the inside of the Axle Tube, so you will have to knock it off with your broomstick first.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Dame
    replied
    it seems the magnet on the dowel isn't as strong as the one lost when first retrieving the button

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Find a dowel or broomstick that will fit in there, and epoxy a dime-size rare-earth magnet to the end. Let the epoxy set up real well before using that tool to fish for the lost lambs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X