Correct Pertronix Part Number For V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Correct Pertronix Part Number For V8

Does anyone here know the correct part number for a Pertronix Ignitor electronic ignition kit for a 1955 President V8 with 6-8 Volt positive ground?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

yes, wait one while i look it up...

My 55 President with Delco distributor used the 1188P6 - 6 Volt Pos ground.

here's the install... http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/6-12V/Pert6v.html

I actually had the 1st or second one they produced, so there were some adjustments but the later ones should not have any issues. This one ran for over 18K miles with no issues...
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

On Phil Harris's Fairborn Studebaker Listing, I show the 1183P6 is the Igniter I Pertronix for the V8 Delco 6 Volt Positive.

Maybe NOW, both the Igniter I & II are available. The II's require the 40,000 Volt Flamethrower Coil, not the 35,000.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Get the number off your distributor and enter it at the Pertronix site for their recommended kit.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I disagree strongly with that tip from actual experience, believe it or NOT Pertronix does not even know their Own stuff!

When it comes to Studebakers, they get so tangled up on their "Distributor Model Number" BS, instead of actual Car Model, that they LOSE it.

Call Phil Harris and get the RIGHT STUFF!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            yes, wait one while i look it up...

My 55 President with Delco distributor used the 1188P6 - 6 Volt Pos ground.

here's the install... http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/6-12V/Pert6v.html

I actually had the 1st or second one they produced, so there were some adjustments but the later ones should not have any issues. This one ran for over 18K miles with no issues...
            Plus over 30 thousand more since I bought the car.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Thank you all for your input. After researching your responses it appears the correct answer is the Pertronix 1183P6.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
              X