Tail Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Tail Housing

I am trying to locate this tail housing for my 700R4 transmission. I am swapping a Turbo 400 to a 700R4. The mounting holes are different. Does anyone out there have one they are willing to sell. Or no were I can find one. I am striking out. The above link is the one I need.
    Thanks.

Why change the tail housing when it's straight forward to modify the rear crossmember? Or am I missing something? Bob

Comment

Hi Bob, No you are not misunderstanding. The garage doing the work seems a little hesitant about cutting and repositioning the existing trans mount. ???????

Comment

I guess it is what it is: but I'd personally modify the trans mount. As long as we are discussing modifications, the 74 shifter does not have enough detents for the 700 but it may work after a fashion. Also be sure they get the TV cable adjusted correctly as that is the quickest way to death for a 700. Lastly, they will need to shorten the driveshaft. Take it to a good shop and be sure they put the best balance on it they can.

I'm not sure what you are doing with the speedometer drive but very few 700's had a mechanical drive. When I put the 700 into my 54K I found a mechanical drive at a local wrecking yard and swapped it out. I don't remember if I had to add a drive gear to the trans output shaft but there are many output gears to adjust output speed. Otherwise it's an pulse to mechanical output conversion unit or a GPS speedometer. Bowtie or other performance trans shops can probably supply what is needed.

IAC adding the 700 is a modification I'd add to mine if I had an automatic in it.

Avanti, Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 11-10-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

OK, this is getting nowhere here. There is no way to offer correct help about this "Crossmember" without the Year and Model of the Car.

A THM400 to a 700R4? Is it even IN a Studebaker?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            OK, this is getting nowhere here. There is no way to offer correct help about this "Crossmember" without the Year and Model of the Car.

A THM400 to a 700R4? Is it even IN a Studebaker?
            Rich

Mid 70's Avanti, I agree that a large number of posts need more complete titles. Sure would help with future searches.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X