Bonneville Hawks 1963 rear axle gear ratios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Bonneville Hawks 1963 rear axle gear ratios

Does anyone know if the Bonneville Hawks used the ' standard' 3.73 Differential that 'came with' an R 2 engine to go 140 MPH, or did they drop a ratio or two, to get that higher top speed of 140 MPH ...? Thanks in advance...

While not an exact answer.... Somehwere in between here: Gear ratios range from 2.72:1 to 5.89:1
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I have a 3.73 gear in my Avanti and I don't think the the engine could push the car to 140MPH before the engine runs out of RPM. I would think that a 3.07 gear was used to get that speed. Bud

Comment

You can go here and do the calculating for yourself:
        http://www.csgnetwork.com/rearendgearcalc.html

With a 1-1 ratio in top gear and 27 inch tall tires, you'd need a 2.73 rear end @ 5000 RPM to exceed 140.

You'd need to go 6500 with a 3.73 rear end to hit 140 with 27 inch tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          I have a 3.73 gear in my Avanti and I don't think the the engine could push the car to 140MPH before the engine runs out of RPM. I would think that a 3.07 gear was used to get that speed. Bud
          Right, Bud; IIRC, that's what they had. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What did Ron Hall use in his car?
            Attached Files
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

We set the record using a 3.0 gear. The initial run in 93 used a 2.75 ratio and the engine would not pull it. Power met resistance at about 188 MPH. At 200 the engine was turning about 7100 RPM. The car has a Ford 9" from a Lincoln Versailles.
              Last edited by jpepper; 11-09-2017, 09:48 AM. Reason: add more comment
              james r pepper

Comment

The 3.07 ish range is what were we thinking . I have yet to DRIVE mine, so i was not sure what speeds it would do vs RPM's .Thanks

Comment

Those rear tires look very tall in the Bonneville pic from the sixties. Seems like maybe they were indy car tires....18" rims?
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X