A/C into GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: A/C into GT Hawk

Has anybody retro fit an A/C evaporator hung under a GT Hawk dashboard. I want to learn from your experience.
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

had one installed on my 64. Had that part done in town. He did not have any issues with that but did run into plumbing and routing problems. The evaporator is very thin; can not imagine any thicker one fitting.

Comment

My 1962 GT was not originally assembled with A/C but somewhere along the way somebody fitted an original Studebaker A/C unit into it and converted it to R-134a. (See photos) It really blows cold!

I had Classic Air in Tampa install a new unit into a 1964 Cruiser that I once owned and it worked great except for really hot days in Florida when the car would run really hot. I painted the Classic Air unit outer case with a color close to the original interior paint and it looked fairly decent. See photo.

There seems to be enough room under the GT Hawk dash for the A/C units even though it's fairly tight against the transmission hump and the only problem I have is the lever for the right side outside vent door. It ends up on top of the unit in the open-to-closed position and you have to really reach for it. I vaguely remember a kit being available somewhere to modify it.

Plumbing under the hood and through the dash didn't appear to be a problem either.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	1717105

Name:	IMG_1260.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1717106

Name:	IMG_1744.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1717107

Name:	1964 Cruiser Air Dash Unit.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1717108

Name:	1964 Cruiser Engine, Right.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1717109
      Bill L.
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Get one of these kits . still available (AFAIK) but they aren't advertised any longer ($275) Makes things under hood fit like a glove

https://www.vintageair.com/instructi...151593-SSA.pdf

The underdash part can be anything you can hook up to it..
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
          Has anybody retro fit an A/C evaporator hung under a GT Hawk dashboard. I want to learn from your experience.
          No problem. That is the way that Studebaker did it at build and by later dealer installations. You used to be able to buy the entire A/C NOS kit for $150.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am most concerned about how to hang the evaporator under the dash. Does the bottom corner of the dash have to be notched out so the evaporator hangs level?
            Peter Bishop
            Director,
            Northeast Zone

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
              I am most concerned about how to hang the evaporator under the dash. Does the bottom corner of the dash have to be notched out so the evaporator hangs level?
              No, my 64 had a factory unit installed in the 70's and the evaporator is hanging on u-hooks / one side bolted under the dash roll, the bottom side bolted into the evaporater
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hey Peter, at least one of the GT Hawks here has factory A/C. I can get you a few pictures of how the unit mounts to the dash if you'd like.

Comment

The under dash unit in mine was probably changed in the late 70's /early 80's but it fits really nice. Nothing is modified to make it fit. I've had it out and it's super easy, just fit's up to the bottom of the dash and screws in, and a small bracket to the dash brace. You can't get to the lever for the right side vent though. The under hood stuff is /was, stock original but I changed to a Sanden compressor.

Name:	IMG_3343.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1717114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3344.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1717115Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3347.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1717116

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    Hey Peter, at least one of the GT Hawks here has factory A/C. I can get you a few pictures of how the unit mounts to the dash if you'd like.
                    Thanks Matt! You already know where the unit came from.
                    Peter Bishop
                    Director,
                    Northeast Zone

Comment

Peter
                      I will be installing factory A/C in my '64 GT and have taken pics of many installed units. The dash is not to be cut. The hangers for the evap. are similar or the same for the dash braces. On '62's there was a long bracket for the evap. which I may have in my stash. The right vent lever needs to be moved to the right by about the amount of the bracket itself-put the left screw in the righthand side and drill another hole for the bracket screw. The rod will need to be shortened. As for the holes for the hoses you may need to make an adjustment from a '63/4 as there may be a difference in your '62 with the Climatizer in the firewall. I may have a template from a buddy's '62. It's a tight fit for my GT as I have a Powershift. Good luck!
                      Rob in PA.

Comment

I didn't get a chance yesterday. I'll be at the shop later today, I'll post pictures then. It'll be the blue '64 with Powershift that you saw when you were here. I can't remember if the white '64 has AC or not.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
                          Peter
                          I will be installing factory A/C in my '64 GT and have taken pics of many installed units. The dash is not to be cut. The hangers for the evap. are similar or the same for the dash braces. On '62's there was a long bracket for the evap. which I may have in my stash. The right vent lever needs to be moved to the right by about the amount of the bracket itself-put the left screw in the righthand side and drill another hole for the bracket screw. The rod will need to be shortened. As for the holes for the hoses you may need to make an adjustment from a '63/4 as there may be a difference in your '62 with the Climatizer in the firewall. I may have a template from a buddy's '62. It's a tight fit for my GT as I have a Powershift. Good luck!
                          Rob in PA.
                          Our current 63GT had factory AC, and the corner of the dash bottom, just to the right of the emergency brake handle, was shaved slightly, so the evaporator would sit more evenly. As for the right side vent lever, it only needs to be altered if moving the evaporator to the right to clear that same corner of the dash. I have installed at least half dozen aftermarket evaporators, and move them to the right. For clearance of the right vent lever, I simply bend the knob down 90 degrees. Sticking straight down, the knob is easier to find by, "feel" when reaching across to open or close it. The metal is similar to a tin can; bends easily, and could probably be bent back and forth a dozen times before it would break off.

Comment

Here you go Peter, this is a ‘64. The white ‘64 has factory AC too, and is identical to this one.

Name:	E84A49BC-C750-4F8A-84C9-FCA057FD016C.jpg
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1717132Click image for larger version

Name:	1F8DF87A-32BB-4028-9C38-7EBF67848C30.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1717133Click image for larger version

Name:	E91E0707-0FED-4DCB-A6FA-2DF01015CF9B.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1717134Click image for larger version

Name:	54C74DB1-15CB-4BC5-91C8-FE55451C5565.jpg
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1717135Click image for larger version

Name:	43399A36-03EA-44B2-AF21-A6C27C16321A.jpg
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	1717136

Comment

Matt,
                              In the second pic, it looks like the dash in that 64 was also shaved in the same place I mentioned the 63's dash was shaved.

Comment

Working...
                              X