S10 5Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: S10 5Speed

I have access to a 1999' S10 5speed transmission and am considering it for my 54 HT. The electronic speedometer troubles me and I wonder if any one has dealt with this issue and with what success. Thanks,
    Stude Rookie

An electric-to-mechanical drive is a standard hot rod part, but many just go straight to a GPS speedo. Depends on how stock you're trying to appear with your modified build.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Maybe you retofit the trans to a mechanical drive?

Comment

My brother used one of those electric-to-mechanical drive adapters on his Transtar when he swapped in a T5. The adapter is not cheap, but he already had an after-market mechanical speedometer. The adapter was easy to set and his speedometer is spot on.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

52-fan You have a PM.

Comment

SmartPhone apps have several gps Speedos just in case you have to wait.Mine was free and works well, has an odometer. Bought an aftermarket speedo and put old one in a bag for next owner,wish I knew about phone app then.Money could have been spent on other Stude stuff.

Comment

I installed a 4L60E in my 68 El Camino. I bought a electric to mechanical box from Dakota Digital. $300 on ebay. It is programable. I input the all the info (gearing, tire size etc.) and it turns a cable that hooks to your original speedo. I was able to mount it up in the dash out of sight. It is a good option if you want to keep it stock looking with your original speedo.

I looked into tailshaft conversions, but they were all around $600. Then you would have to do some trial and error to get the right drive and driven speedo gears. Just not worth the hassle.

Comment

Dakota Digital has a superb, multi-adjustable pulse-rate GPS system. It works great. It also can use an external, plug-in antenna if needed. However, I mounted mine inside the center-console of my '63 Avanti without reception issues, even when parked in my wood-frame garage. I use the DD to drive the factory GM computer in my LS3 engine-swap because I use my older (Camaro sourced) T-5's mechanical mount for my mechanical speedo.

I must also admit that I had some initial reservations about using a GPS-based system, but they were all unfounded. All the best, however you decide to go.

Also, when I did my swap some years ago the options of today did not yet exist and DD was extremely helpful and responsive in all my dealing with them. They were as quick to tell me what they had to sell that probably wouldn't work for my purposes and to explain what would and why. As it turned out, my timing was in-between significant up-grades in their GPS systems and they sent me one of the first new ones as soon as they were available instead of pushing the old one off on me.
                Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-08-2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Thank all of you who responded to my query. I figured that that with all of the wizards on this forum I would get positive results.
                  Stude Rookie

Comment

The last T5 GM s10 used was 1994, after that was the nv1500 or nv3500...not the same trans. There's companies that will convert your tail shaft and gear to make it a mechanical speedo.

Comment

Working...
                    X