Ls swap questions for 1951 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Ls swap questions for 1951 commander

My plans are to put a 5.3 ls motor into my studebaker. How difficult will it be to install it? Will it physically fit? What about motor mounts? I know there are adapters to buy to swap sbc into them but i cant find ls ones. Im not worried about the wiring and the computer, harness etc.

Well, an early Hemi will fit, so an LS engine should too. I have no idea about the engine mounts, but if you have the $, tools, and talent it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by 52-fan; 11-07-2017, 03:23 PM.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by eroc1950 View Post
      My plans are to put a 5.3 ls motor into my studebaker. How difficult will it be to install it? Will it physically fit? What about motor mounts?
      Physically fit? The Studebaker V8 is a big block outside and there is so much room in the engine compartment the LS (and any other small block) will seem little and lost down in that hole.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by eroc1950 View Post
        My plans are to put a 5.3 ls motor into my studebaker. How difficult will it be to install it? Will it physically fit? What about motor mounts? I know there are adapters to buy to swap sbc into them but i cant find ls ones. Im not worried about the wiring and the computer, harness etc.
        If these K-mart, flea market engines can be installed in the following examples...surely you can stick one in your Studebaker.

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/?p=4

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?
          qid=20130403151423AAPlHra

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/...%20install.htm

http://www.alpha-omegaclothingco.com...FRONTENDS.html
          Last edited by rkapteyn; 11-07-2017, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Could you use the mounting system from a 65-66 V-8 Studebaker?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I don't know about the 51, but the Lark mounts will not work on 53 up C's & K's. He is too far away for me to help.

Comment

Sure the '51 should not be a problem since it has the "new" suspension, etc. As for motor-mounts for the LS, there are ones that "convert" to the older-style sbc. Some years ago I put an LS3 E-rod crate-engine into my '63 Avanti; I had to do some fab myself (including my own motor-mounts from scratch which actually proved the easiest overall). I have lots of pix and if you go to the members' pix section here and go back a ways you'll see my thread.

Btw, some potential swap problem areas include the exhaust manifolds, especially on the left if you maintain the Stude set-up. However, I worked this out with aftermarket parts, contrary to my initial impressions. The oil pan is doable, as well, as is clearance between the back of the engine and the firewall. Apart from those few places it wasn't much of a hassle, at all.

If you have specific questions, though I've not done the swap into the 51, I'd be happy to look at pix of your empty engine compartment and help as I can. All the best!

One belated addition, to facilitate my swap I bought one of the mock-up engines made of plastic... WAY easier to experiment with than mucking with the real thng. As a consequence, the real engine went in one and only one time... after all the prelims were done with the mock-up... and that was to stay.
                Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X