T5 Transmission in a 62 GT hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T5 Transmission in a 62 GT hawk

I put a T5 in this GT Hawk which actually went very well. I couldn't ask for a better adapter which I purchased from Phil Harris. After modifying the shifter a little, the owner and I were pretty happy.
    I do have one concern and would like some opinions from those that have done this swap. There is a vibration in the driveline at around 65 mph and again around 75.
    The transmission is three inches longer than the original T10. If I'm thinking correctly, the pinion angle has changed due to the longer transmission. The new drive shaft has been balanced and has no runout to speak of. The bellhousing was dialed in to less than .0015. Changing the driveshaft/pinion angle should be pretty easy by cutting down the spacers at the transmission mount, lowering the transmission. I should have measured the angles with the T-10, but didn't think about it at the time.
    Thoughts and opinions are welcome!
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

I would have the drive shaft rebalanced.

Check the drive angles also.

Comment

Did it have anything similar before changing trannies, even the slightest? The issue may not be new to the car. That said, I don't believe the longer tranny would be an issue IF the angles are correct. I have done a couple T-5s and similar others into Avantis and never had such happen. All the best and let us know what it was when you find it, please.

Comment

Definitely have the driveshaft dynamically balanced. I have had the same exact issue.
        Dan Giblin
        Cincinnati, OH

Comment

At ride height.....
          What is the trans/crank angle?
          What is the pinion angle?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm planning on hashing this out on Saturday....
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

I have done this swap. I have a T5 in my '53 coupe and was unable to use the two-piece driveshaft and after converting to a single piece driveshaft, have a vibration at speed that seems to get worse about 75 or so. The driveshaft was a new fabricated one with almost all new parts (one of the yokes was reused) and professionally balanced. It was not dynamically balanced.

One thing I noticed during my swap is with the forward engine mounts and bellhousing mount only, any minor misalignment of the engine/trans assembly is magnified by the much longer tailshaft. In other words, if the old 3-spd tailshaft was 1/8" off center, the T5 would be 1/4" (those are fabricated numbers to illustrate the concept only).

I got underneath and found that even with all the mounts tightened and in good condition, I can move the tailshaft left/right by a significant amount. The T5 was traditionally mounted with a trans mount, not a bellhousing mount, and while there is no significant advantage/disadvantage to either when designed that way, perhaps the extra length of the T5 it's amplifying minor misalignments to the point they induce vibration because your U-joint is now out of phase in two planes instead of just one.

I actually tried to measure everything carefully when under there from several fixed locations on either side of the chassis/body and was able to get the tailhousing 'more' centered, and it did seem to help the vibration some, at least temporarily, I think under torque loads, it is deflecting again.

I have considered adding a third crossmember to positively locate the tailhousing in an effort to eliminate this variable from the equation. I have also considered simply using an H-joint (double U-joint) at the rear end when I do an 8.8" swap in the future as that will accommodate a dual plane phase problem.
              -------------------
              Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

Working...
              X