Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Front spring # 526136

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front spring # 526136

Anybody ever see this spring.Studebaker # 526136. I can't find it in the parts book. I'm thinking it could be a HD replacement for 63's but not sure.

A 526126 is a '53-'54 Commander W,F & Y body standard front spring, are you sure it's not a 126?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

No, it is 526136. Actually came out of a 64 Daytona.

Comment

Oh! Here it is, I've been through the '51-'54 Chassis Parts catalog, the '55-'58 one and here it is in the '59-'64 one!

It's Standard for '64 Y1 & Y3 Taxi and Police cars, and HD for all 6 Cyl. models including GT Hawk! But NO V-8's! and no pre-1964 models. That one IS an oddball![:0]

It must have been one of those weird Canadian built '64 Daytonas with a 6 Cyl. and HD spring option.

quote:Originally posted by nels

No, it is 526136. Actually came out of a 64 Daytona.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich

Comment

So that # shows up in your parts book? I couldn't find it in mine. I even called Dave at sasco and he shows no record at all of that #. I will have to take another look or maybe you have a different part manual than mine.

Comment

It's a '59-'64 CD Disc, its the same issue, as the printed copy I think.
            Sept. 1963 issue. Group 1510, 1510-1, Front Spring, Page 429.

OPPS..I looked up 526134! Sorry, I guess it does NOT exist, I just checked the '65-'66 that's ALL of em!!]

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich

Comment

The closest number I found is 526135. I can only guess/ask..........
              1. If that last '6' isn't stamped real well, maybe it's really a '3' or a '5'.
              2. Is there a paint swatch on the spring anywhere?
              3. Vaguely seem to remember reading that one of the vendors had some springs made up some
              years ago, and gave them a new part number since they weren't exactly like any existing
              springs.

Dwain G.

Comment

Dwain; maybe you are thinking of the 700xxx numbers that Newman & Altman created and SASCO of course is still using, for their own reproduced items that differ slightly from original, or are brand new items. Also the 800xxx numbers that S.I. created for the same reason.

I have never heard of anyone trying to re-invent new Studebaker numbers.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich

Comment

Dwain,
                  The number I listed is correct. It is stamped very clearly on both springs. I do think Stude offered a service spring for the sagging 63's and I wonder if this maybe a set of those. I just think it is quite odd that this part # shows up nowhere!!

Comment

have you tried seeing if it is listed in a service letter? Unfortunately I don't have a set; all I have is the CD of service bulletins and they only go up to Oct. '62, so if the spring was released for the '63 MY cars it wouldn't likely be reflected there.

Of course, that looks like a really *early* part number... is it possible that it was used on a car before your earliest parts book? like a '51 or '52? That would physically fit in a '63... is it a progressive spring or is the coil spacing even?

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate,
                      That's a good observation. No the springs are not variable rate. There are 10 coils and I believe they measured .720 wire diameter. I don't believe I have any older parts manuals, that is back to 1950 but I should look....maybe I do.

Comment

I suspect, but cannot prove, that *most* springs with 6-digit part numbers are linear rate and *most* springs with 7-digit part numbers are progressive, since the progressive rate springs were introduced in 1957, and the 7-digit part numbers seemed to start appearing in 1956 or thereabouts. You do see 6-digit part numbers for springs all the way up to '64; I thought that *all* '57-up springs were progressive but the 5-10 minutes of "research" I did for this thread leads me to believe that maybe they were only used on the most popular applications and that HD-options, oddly optioned 6-cylinder cars, etc. used off-the-shelf older part numbers that had appropriate rates.

And no, I am no closer to an answer for you than before, and I've looked in all two of the chassis parts books that I have. (well, I have a truck parts book as well that I picked up somewhere for cheap, but I doubt I'm going to find any coil spring part numbers in there <G&gt

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

And no, I am no closer to an answer for you than before, and I've looked in all two of the chassis parts books that I have. (well, I have a truck parts book as well that I picked up somewhere for cheap, but I doubt I'm going to find any coil spring part numbers in there <G&gt

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          Untrue! There's a little coil spring under the truck radiator mount, and two more (even smaller ones) under the rear gas tank mount.[}]
                          [Don't you just hate a smarta--?]

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                          X