No announcement yet.

Twin Traction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best part? Dumping the clutch and letting BOTH TIRES SMOKE.....and the feeling of the car sliding sideways from the launch....The sweet sound, feeling and fragrance of performance!

Comment

Originally posted by Galactica5 View Post
      It takes a lighter foot on the pedal in slippery conditions or you will spin out for one thing.
      Yes, you have to let up on the gas when the rear wheels break loose, but without TT you would never have gotten very far on slippery roads. TT is great in the winter. I wouldn't (and never have) have a Studebaker without it. You also have to be careful when downshifting when going downhill on slick roads so you don't do it too abruptly. Once both rear tires start sliding, the back end will try to go around. That's when you give it a little gas to get the tires rolling again so you can brake effectively. Also, when going uphill or pulling away from a stop at a slick intersection, it helps to quickly get into the highest gear the engine will pull. That reduces the chances that the engine will break the rear wheels loose. It is very effective once you get the hang of it. One last thing... the traction bars work against you on ice. i found out the hard way when I got my super hawk. The normal give (wind-up) in the rear springs that the traction bars are designed to eliminate, helps reduce the chance of the rear wheels loosing traction on slippery roads.
      Last edited by blackhawk; 11-11-2017, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I have been driving rear wheel drive cars and trucks with TT positraction or what ever each manufacturer called a limited slip since 1963 never had any problems except for a few which needed the additive when fluid was changed. Never had any problems with control of car some of which had high horespower and were the only car I owned at the time. Maybe I had to much practice with limited slips but teamed with a set of good snow tires western Pa winters never proved a problem .

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
          I have been driving rear wheel drive cars and trucks with TT positraction or what ever each manufacturer called a limited slip since 1963 never had any problems except for a few which needed the additive when fluid was changed. Never had any problems with control of car some of which had high horespower and were the only car I owned at the time. Maybe I had to much practice with limited slips but teamed with a set of good snow tires western Pa winters never proved a problem .
          Yes, good tires are a must on a rear wheel drive car in the winter. You need them for traction on the rear and steering on the front. I run Blizzaks on my Cruiser during the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
            I have had similar experience. I have owned MANY cars, both new and used, with limited slip since 1960 (that first one was a 1957 President Classic). In the 1960s, I put 35K miles per year on my first/prime car (usually five cars in use on the road at any one time) and half of that was in Hudson Valley, NY Winters.

EDIT: This included Studebakers and Chrysler products, mostly with high performance 383s or 440s.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X