Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: For anyone with an L-head Lark VI

For a Carter AS-2876-S:

I need a measurement of the choke valve from someone with one that is known to be functioning correctly:

When you set your choke with the accelerator pedal, for a cold start, can you give me the measurement of the clearance from the top edge of the valve to the inner wall of the air horn (the same place of measurement when making the choke unloader adjustment).

Thank you.

I normally set them so they just close completely in cool weather; say 40 F. Much colder, they close more firmly, much warmer, only half closed. You are in AZ, IIRC. Won't need much choke, but you will need some. It varies from car to car. Some engines are very cold-blooded, others warm up almost instantly.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Here is the Choke setting instructions for carter AS Carbs. The Choke butterfly can be closed all the way as there are Two functions in the design of the Carb, to unchoke it, as it starts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Choke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1717067
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is the Choke setting instructions for Carter AS Carbs. The Choke butterfly can be closed all the way as there are Two functions in the design of the Carb, to unchoke it, as it starts.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Choke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1717067 You will need to click this 3 Times, sorry I could not enlarge it before posting, Windows Photo Viewer scanned Image from the Shop Manual was at Max size.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-05-2017, 03:40 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I know and have used this procedure, but I'm having an issue with the choke flooding the carb when set this way and since I've double checked all the other adjustments on the carb, I'm trying to determine whether the choke spring is incorrect for the car and/or faulty. Currently, it's set way past the leanest mark; if it had them, think 10 or 12 notches lean.

Comment

At the South Bend swap meet this year I saw a choke spring where the bimetal had actually separated. Never saw or heard of that before.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              At the South Bend swap meet this year I saw a choke spring where the bimetal had actually separated. Never saw or heard of that before.
              Well, I'm sure these springs can only endure so many heat cycles before they lose their effectiveness. I might just order a spring from Mike's carbs and see what happens. Unless there's an adjustment for the choke system that isn't covered in the Studebaker shop books that I've got.

Comment

Working...
              X