No announcement yet.

4 lug wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I accidentally tripped over some 4 on 4 wheels at Speedway this morning. I don't know if any are useful. There's one 15" by 10". https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Searc...av_Part:Wheels
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
      Why not change the brakes and backing plates/drums to a later type, 1954 and up? Your wheels choices would be endless...... plus you get better braking.
      Uhhh...how is this done? We're dealing with different spindles, etc., aren't we?
      KURTRUK
      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

He says he wants wides on the rear.

He probably has a DANA 23 or maybe a Dana 27. The backing plates have the same bolt pattern as later 1954-up. Remove all of it , including the brake drums, and replace them with 1954-66 Stude and get a 5 lug standard stude/Ford/Dodge bolt pattern.... then get darn near any wheel you want..... You can fit 15/ 50 series tires under that thing if you want to.
        Last edited by (S); 11-08-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

OK, I was thinking about the fronts.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
            He says he wants wides on the rear.

He probably has a DANA 23 or maybe a Dana 27. The backing plates have the same bolt pattern as later 1954-up. Remove all of it , including the brake drums, and replace them with 1954-66 Stude and get a 5 lug standard stude/Ford/Dodge bolt pattern.... then get darn near any wheel you want..... You can fit 15/ 50 series tires under that thing if you want to.
            Need to swap the axles and outer wheel bearings, too.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I have been thru the axle and spindle swap. Not long ago I had a 1950 rear axle and front spindles from a Land Cruiser. I had a 50 Land Cruiser parts car I used for the this. The rear end required the entire thing be moved to the rear about 1/2 inch but after that it was fine. The front kingpin/spindle will bolt right in. Both cars use the same outer top and bottom pins. Only problem is the tie rod hole in the steering arm is much larger so the tie rod will not fit and the taper is reversed so the tie rod must be installed from the bottom which puts it at sharp angle. The two problems require a custom made tie rod on both sides which is beyond my ability.

The rear end is a Dana 23 and I have a 51 Dana 23 with 5 lug hubs but it is from an automatic and has a much lower gear ratio and wider spring perches. I think RadioRoy's idea is probably the best way to go, swap the axles and backing plates to the 50 housing. No reason the front and rear have to have the same bolt pattern.

Anyway, I think this discussion has gotten completely out of hand. Time for me to decide which way I need to go. I do appreciate everyone's input.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

Was told early Falcons and 6 cyl Mustangs were 4', also Corvairs.Early 60s stuff.

Comment

I had front wheels made for the 60 lark. The wheel shop welded new disc brake outer rim/hoop to a used Ford center and was $45 a wheel. Try to find one in your area, any width outer rim you need with your stock center welded in to any offset you need.

Comment

Originally posted by kxet View Post
                    Was told early Falcons and 6 cyl Mustangs were 4'.
                    Nope, they are 4 on 4 1/2" bolt circle. So are early 70's Datsuns. I've had several of them, and have a pile of 13 and 14 inch "slot" mags that will fit them.

Comment

I got an answer from Pete Paulsen, $150.00 per wheel plus shipping. I can't handle that. I have a wheel here I removed the center from to see if I could reverse it, not that hard to do. I tried it on a 50 Land Cruiser wheel but the champion center is about 1/8 inch too large. Think I will take it out to a salvage yard and see if I can find anything that will fit.
                      I have to do everything I can myself, being on a fixed income rules out spending big bucks on most anything not necessary. Like over $300.00 for two wheels. Besides, I enjoy doing whatever I can to make things work.
                      Thanks everyone.
                      sigpic
                      Barn Find
                      1950 Champion
                      Before I started
                      Jim Berry
                      Midlothian, TX

Comment

Might be easier to replace the whole rear end with something more modern and get a bolt pattern that will allow you to get wider wheels. Might just get a better gear ratio too, according to how you plan to drive the car.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
                          I got an answer from Pete Paulsen, $150.00 per wheel plus shipping.
                          Wow, that's crazy you can buy any number of mag wheels for that, the problem is the bolt pattern. Only 20 years ago, Pete made me four complete wheels, two 15 x 8 and two 15 x 7 for my 5 on 5 1/2" Ford with no parts from me plus gave me the center I put the VW rim on, for $150, I think that included the hubcaps too. Even with only the so called 4% yearly inflation they claim we have it should only be $300 for 4 wheels now.

Comment

I am trying to keep the same center to use the Champion dog dish covers but not for that price. I have two rear ends here from a 51 and 52 Champion that I could use for parts. Plan to pull the axles and see if I can put them in my 50 housing. That would give me a 5x4 1/2 bolt pattern, very common. I have a couple sets of full size covers I could use that would cover the mismatched front and rear centers.
                            sigpic
                            Barn Find
                            1950 Champion
                            Before I started
                            Jim Berry
                            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                            X