4 lug wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 4 lug wheel

Anyone know if there is any car that used a 4x4 wheel bolt pattern? I have found several 4x100 mm but the only 4x4 I find are for front wheel drive, much too much offset. I need to find wider wheels for my 50 champion, about 5 1/2.
    Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Try early to mid 80's Mustang. Seems like I've seen them on some 4 lug Studebakers.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
      Anyone know if there is any car that used a 4x4 wheel bolt pattern? I have found several 4x100 mm but the only 4x4 I find are for front wheel drive, much too much offset. I need to find wider wheels for my 50 champion, about 5 1/2.
      Thanks
      That 4X100 mm is less than 2 mm off from 4X4. Have you tried one to check on fit?
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I did try a 100mm. I have a set of Hyundai Accent wheels which are 100mm and the lug bolts will not fit. Just off 1.6mm but enough to keep them from mounting.
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

OK, I'll bite. Why do you want wider wheels on a '50 Champion? The stockers are 5" which accept a 205 75 15 with no problems. I've 13K on mine with that tire size with no excessive wear or other problems. Any more rubber than that on the road vastly exceeds what the rest of the car is capable of.

Comment

I have four very clean 4 hole wheels 5" wide for $50.00 each pickup in Joliet Illinois.
            Some have very good tires.
            Robert Kapteyn
            studebaker@mac.com

Comment

I am not concerned about performance so much but I am building this to look like the street rods we built in the mid 50's when I was a teenager. Lowered, lake pipes, floor shifter, big tires in the rear, fuzzy dice on the mirror, hula doll on the dash and so on. I also have a Bill Cathcart engine to install, dual carbs and exhaust, "high compression" aluminum head, over sized pistons, reground cam and so on. As for power, at 75 years old I don't go in for much hotrodding, anymore. Just drive around town an a few local shows.

All the purist out there don't get up in arms. I have a 50 Land Cruiser I am trying my best to keep original, not easy or cheap.

I have close to a dozen 4 lug Champion wheels in various condition and a set of 195/70 tires I intend to install on the front but I want something like a 205/70 or 215/70 on the rear. Depends on what I can get to clear.

Second childhood is in full swing.
              sigpic
              Barn Find
              1950 Champion
              Before I started
              Jim Berry
              Midlothian, TX

Comment

You could just have a wider rim fitted to your wheel centers. That way the fronts and rears will even match. Places like Stockton Wheel and Pete Paulsen Motorsports do that around here, (I'm sure they'd do it if you shipped your wheel to them) I'd bet there's someone local to you too.

Comment

Sounds good, looking for lowering blocks for my 49 Champion. Full hubcaps barely fit,had to remove clips on wheels. Hate to torch the springs but whatever, it is my car. I'm same age as doubledaddy so I had years of looking at stock Studes to want something a little different without going broke.Have fun.

Comment

Try Fox bodied Fords, Fairmonts ,Mustangs and possibly T Birds of early to mid 80s, I was told not to go over 195/70 on stude wheels.

Comment

Those Fords are 4.25" on 4. 4" circle is more like old Vegas and Chevettes and some British sports cars.
                      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

That's what I am finding, nothing on a 4x4 pattern.
                        I do like the idea of making the stock wheels wider for the rear, that would let me use the stock small hubcaps and trim rings.
                        The centers on the Champion are riveted in and are easy to turn around. This gives a wider stance but does not help with wider tires.
                        sigpic
                        Barn Find
                        1950 Champion
                        Before I started
                        Jim Berry
                        Midlothian, TX

Comment

In the VW world it's very common to have the 4" rim replaced with a 6" one on stock wheel centers. Especially if your car is a Herbie, "the love bug". I know many guys who have had it done. I actually put a 4" VW rim on a Ford truck wheel center to make a space saver spare for my 5 on 5.5" Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
                            That's what I am finding, nothing on a 4x4 pattern.
                            I do like the idea of making the stock wheels wider for the rear, that would let me use the stock small hubcaps and trim rings.
                            The centers on the Champion are riveted in and are easy to turn around. This gives a wider stance but does not help with wider tires.
                            There are specialty shops that can put wider, modern rims on your old centers. The variables/undesirables might be cost and strength (or lack of strength) of the old rim centers.
                            Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-07-2017, 04:17 PM.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Why not change the brakes and backing plates/drums to a later type, 1954 and up? Your wheels choices would be endless...... plus you get better braking.

Comment

Working...
                              X