Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1939 Commander engine - what does it fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1939 Commander engine - what does it fit?

I have two 1939 Commanders that have been stored since 1970 and a rebuilt engine with no miles on it rebuilt by an ex Studebaker mechanic about 15 years ago. What other Studebaker cars does this engine fit? (All will be for sale.)

Fits 1932 and 33 Rockne, 36 and up Dictators and Commanders through 1959, as well as some trucks through 1961. Quite a run, don't you think?
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      Fits 1932 and 33 Rockne, 36 and up Dictators and Commanders through 1959, as well as some trucks through 1961. Quite a run, don't you think?
      I would think that would be Commanders through 1950. Starting in 1951, Commanders were V8s. Of course even through 1950 the displacement of the engine varied (increased).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Anyone who would suggest it would fit a Commander through 1959 is flirting too closely to senility! I'm glad I don't know that person.
        All posts by myself are now officially suspect.
        I suppose I could just claim it was a typing error..., yes?
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          Anyone who would suggest it would fit a Commander through 1959 is flirting too closely to senility! I'm glad I don't know that person.
          All posts by myself are now officially suspect.
          I suppose I could just claim it was a typing error..., yes?
          Yes, I ASSUME that it was a typing error, but I did not want to leave it alone for fear that someone make take it as truth.

While I am at it, I believe that engine was used in trucks through 1960, not "1961".
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

While I am at it, I believe that engine was used in trucks through 1960, not "1961".
            Actually, Brad is correct, but it is one of those obscure facts that are sometimes unique to Studebaker. From the 1961 model section of the Stude truck history on the main SDC website:

"Several trucks were built that were powered by the Commander 6, even though this engine had been dropped from the catalog in 1960. These included two 1½-ton 5E16s in September 1960, six 1-ton 1960-model 5E14s (including one 4WD 5E14D) in September and October 1960, and two ½-ton 1961-model 6E6 pickups in January 1961 (presumably the very last Studebaker vehicles built with this venerable engine). The single 5E14D built in September 1960 was on the cover of the August 1999 Turning Wheels, and according to Fred Fox’s history of the 5E-series trucks, had 1961 trim and paint codes. This makes sense, given the fact that the 1961 6E-series trucks were already in production when it was built."
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Rockne 10, happy to see that you are not senile, and flirting is ok, because you still have much more knowledge than myself, when it comes to Studebakers.

Comment

Thank you for your assistance. Anyone interested in the engine or two four door Commanders?

Comment

Working...
                X