No announcement yet.

Saggy 62 Daytona Hardtop 6 cylinder Springs and Used V8 spring swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Saggy 62 Daytona Hardtop 6 cylinder Springs and Used V8 spring swap

Hi Guys,
    I have a Paris delivered 62 Daytona Hardtop 6cyl auto I am getting back on the road again. It only has 55k original km on it so has gone nowhere in it's life.

It has really saggy pants in the front and rear.

I have recently swapped the springs out in my 63 R1 clone Wagonaire for new ones. Front and Rear.

Am I heading for trouble if I install these in the 62 6cyl. They are 50 years old as well and have probably saved a bit with the V8 in them.

Do I just add spacers to the 6cyl springs to raise the front end ?

I have a real nice 63 Daytona Hardtop V8 with all the great driving options that sits really nice in the front and rear.

I suspect it may firm up the ride, but with better roads than back in 1962 I can't imaging that it will be too much of a problem.

You thought please for any of you that have done it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1756037Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3080.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1756038

Regards
    Greg
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Swap them out and see if the ride height is acceptable. Sure can't hurt anything.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Greg, go for it. Tired V8 station wagon springs are going to be better than tired 6 cylinder springs.

Comment

I sure would try it Greg. I just put a set of NOS heavy duty wagon springs on the back of my '64 Daytona and considering it will settle slightly the ride height will be perfect. Yes it's stiff but I like stiff suspensions. The Wagonaire springs should help your Daytona also. How many leaves - in other words, are they standard wagon springs or heavy duty wagon springs?

If it were me, I would try the used front springs also. It will probably ride stiffer with only that 6 cylinder weight but should raise it up ok. I have a '62 six cylinder convertible that has standard V8 springs and the ride height was good in that car. I'm assuming here that these front springs you have are standard V8 springs, not the super heavy duty full package springs?? The V8 full package springs might be a bit much for a six cylinder.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I put 100K happy miles on a 62 Lark six after it was fitted with a pair of sagged V8 front springs. They sat well, and gave a slightly firmer ride. After that car succumbed to eastern salt, I installed the self same springs into a 58 Champion. There they sit a little high as the flathead is lighter than the OHV, but the ride and handling are quite good.

If you install the Wagonaire rear springs and the hardtop sits too high, you can easily lower it by spreading the shortest leaf away from the others with a screwdriver and cut the ends off that leaf with a grinder. Try not to nick the next leaf!

Comment

A used set of Standard V8 Front springs will work Good in a 6 as Ross says, but I would hesitate on Wagonaire Springs, those are the Firmest Lark Type Spring, very close to as Firm as an Avanti H.D. Spring, and will raise the front of a Six enough to get "nose bleeds"!

Borrowed that one from Dick Steinkamp who always says that of non-Lowered Cars!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
            X