Fuel pickup location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel pickup location?

I recently bought my first Studebaker, a '59 Hawk, and have a question about the fuel supply system. I removed the fuel tank to repair a leaky sending unit and found that I appear to have the incorrect tank or sending unit. What I have appears to be for a 56 - 57 Hawk with the pickup tube through the sending unit. My question is, where is the pickup tube supposed to be located, as the replacement sending units for a 59 lack the tube?

All the fuel pickup tubes exit the tank towards the front at the bottom of the tank. If your tank requires a through the fuel sender fuel pickup, it is not a Hawk tank. None of the gauge sending units have a fuel line in them. Mid 50's GM tanks can be made to fit C/K bodies. Maybe that is what you have. 55 Chevy and 56 Buick are close and can be made to work. Good C/K tanks are getting scarce. I hope this helps.
    james r pepper

Comment

The Tank and Sending Unit are from a '57 Hawk, to use that tank you would need to drill a hole in a '58-'64 Hawk Sender and solder in a Pickup Tube.

This is cheaper, and safer then Welding in a Fuel Line fitting on the Lower Front of the tank.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I got lucky and found a NOS 56/57 sending unit on e-bay so I can just put it back the way it was, even if that's not 100% correct. When I removed the gas tank, I was surprised to find that it seemed to be a relatively new tank. It has a blocked off port at the right rear corner, and what appears to be a drain plug in the center of the tank. Is this tank stock or aftermarket?

Comment

It may be a Newer Factory replacement Stude. Tank that had the flat circle "provisions for" other body style/location Filler pipes.

If it looks like any other Stude. tank it IS, there were no "Reproductions".

Is the center drain location just a flat or with a Plug?
          StudeRich

Comment

It looks like other Studebaker tanks that I saw on the internet. It does have an actual drain plug, which I have never seem in a gas tank before.

Comment

The older tanks up to about 1954, MAYBE '57, had a recessed square drain Plug that never "wants to" come out, and any year tank that was used on a Car Show "Display Car" would have an actual Drain cock.

But of course only '56 & '57's would have NO Fuel outlet Line.
              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
              X