Mating a hydraulic clutch cylinder to a turner dual master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Mating a hydraulic clutch cylinder to a turner dual master cylinder

Work in progress on my '54 hardtop. It has a chevy 283 with a chevy 4-speed and I'm using two stock master cylinders, one for brakes and one for hydraulic clutch. I am also going to install Turner disk brakes. I am now thinking of adding turner's dual master cylinder kit. Has anyone tried to do something like this? That is trying to mate the stock cylinder to the dual cylinder. As of right now the brakes and clutch do work as is. Just thinking about safety.

I'm not sure what you mean by "mating" the two cylinders. The two systems should be completely separate. The only thing common might be the pedal shaft if using the stock pedals under the floor. So, the brake system should care less what the clutch is doing and vise-versa. It should just be a relitively simple job of creating a linkage to the respective pedal from each master cylinder and a mount for the cylinders. I suppose if you used two factory cylinders you could use long bolts to reach through both of them with the frame sandwitched in between. Or mount brackets for any cylinder the same way.

Comment

I already have the two stock cylinders side by side with long bolts. I won't be able to use that same setup. Maybe a hanging pedal setup or maybe trying to move the clutch cylinder to the inside of the frame.

Comment

You can make a simple bracket to bolt to the frame to mount the new masters to.

Comment

here is a set of universal , firewall mounted pedals.https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unive...bly,73779.html They also have master cylinders designed specifically for clutches.

Comment

Originally posted by steviewonder View Post
            I already have the two stock cylinders side by side with long bolts. I won't be able to use that same setup. Maybe a hanging pedal setup or maybe trying to move the clutch cylinder to the inside of the frame.
            Oh, ok, I figured if you were to use two of the original brake masters, you'd have one on either side of the frame anyway since the pedal linkage is already there; no need to mess with anything. That's what I was going to do. I'm adding a power booster and dual master with a hung/swing pedal on the firewall of my '62, the brake will be totally out of the way. I'll move the battery to the right inner fender. But may forgo the clutch altogether and install an automatic, since my trans just ate some bearings.

Anyway, with the clutch master on the inside of the frame, I'd guess the Turner master thing should bolt right where the stock brake master did.

Comment

Forum member -junior- made that modification to his 53 with Turner brakes IIRC. This is the link. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...utch&styleid=2

Of course, photobucket has conventionally screwed up the pictures but there is a very good write up and I'll bet he would supply pictures if you PM him.

I put suspended petals in my 54K and used late 80's Camaro parts. I also strengthened the firewall as I was worried about flexing and stress cracks developing in the old metal.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                I put suspended petals in my 54K and used late 80's Camaro parts. I also strengthened the firewall as I was worried about flexing and stress cracks developing in the old metal.
                Bob
                Yea, I did it to my dad's '54C almost 30 years ago and to my '54 Chevy. You are very correct, reinforcing the firewall is a must. I simply cut a 1/8" steel sheet to fit that side of the firewall and welded it flat on the inside of the firewall.

Comment

I am taking in all this info and want to thank everyone for all your responses so far. Gives me some different views.

Comment

Working...
                  X