No announcement yet.

How much is too much oil consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were not many Studebakers around the small farming community I grew up in ('60's)....mostly early larks & the occasional bullet nose. Unfortunately they ALL smoked & you were made fun of if anyone knew you were a Studebaker fan. Although always a big fan, I didn't get my first one till 1988.
    Mike Sal

Comment

Have several bottles of STP on my shelf. Do not know if STP contains adequate ZDDP or not. It is cheaper and if we knew it was adequately protective we could do cheaper oil changes in our old cars. I have not used it in years because the STP idiots won't tell us how much ZDDP is in STP. Great markeding stategy!!

Comment

Well, I had to remove my manifold (unrelated, replacing the gasket due to vacuum leak) and discovered that my valve chamber baffles are MIA. Might be a long shot, but I'm thinking that this issue might have something to do with that...

Comment

Yes on a Stude. Six that IS a BIG deal because they get sometimes severe wear on the Lifter Bores and the Baffles keep the Oil splash down and away from the Intake Valve Guides better than without.
          They also keep the Oil spray away from the PCV Tube or Crankcase breather draft tube.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Yes on a Stude. Six that IS a BIG deal because they get sometimes severe wear on the Lifter Bores and the Baffles keep the Oil splash down and away from the Intake Valve Guides better than without.
            They also keep the Oil spray away from the PCV Tube or Crankcase breather draft tube.
            Well, I've got some feelers out there for local replacements. Fingers crossed, because I can't find them anywhere else online.

Comment

I also noticed that there's no filter material in the breather tube. Any idea what to put in there? I was thinking steel wool

Comment

Originally posted by MrBulldops View Post
                I also noticed that there's no filter material in the breather tube. Any idea what to put in there? I was thinking steel wool
                Steel wool would be way too dense. Maybe a real coarse metal scrub pad, for metal pots and pans.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                  And another thing; Stude bakers hold fluids like sieves hold water. Am working on a 63 Galaxie, and can't get over no puddles of ATF, oil, or antifreeze on my shop floor. Don't try to fight it!!!! You will only end up on meds and in therapy; you will still need a drip pan under your car.
                  If that 63 Galaxie is not leaking anything, anywhere, better hold onto it. You have a very rare specimen there, maybe one of a kind. LOL

Comment

I bought my 1989 Dodge Raider (3.0 liter Mitsubishi V6) in 92 with 30,000 miles on it. It used a quart of oil very 1,000 miles. I asked the chief mechanic at the Mitsubishi dealer about it and he said that is about normal for this motor. Now, after another 310,000 miles, on my second motor, it has always burned a quart every 1,000 miles. So far this has not caused me any loss of sleep.
                    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      Steel wool would be way too dense. Maybe a real coarse metal scrub pad, for metal pots and pans.
                      That's actually what I ended up going with. Bought the copper stuff and just cut and moulded it into a 5 inch cigar; slipped in nice and easy, so it shouldn't get plugged up.

Comment

Working...
                      X