1953 Studebaker V8 Fuel Pump Block Off Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 1953 Studebaker V8 Fuel Pump Block Off Plate

Has any one used a fuel block off plate for a 53 Stude V8 ? I just want to go with a electric pump , has anyone done this modification ??
    Joseph Kastellec

Be sure to remove the push rod first. Any speed shop will have the block off plates. You could also use any later 55-62 Stude V8 oil fill pipe, as they are already blocked off on the casting.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

A piece of 1/8 sheet metal, a little shaping with hack saw and file, and two 5/16" holes. Easy.

For what it's worth...I still have the bad stock fuel pump on my daily driver wagon's 259...with an electric pump doing the pumping work..!

Mike

Comment

I have an electric fuel pump on my 1962 GT Hawk 289 at the gas tank with a plate on the block mechanical pump mounting boss. Works fine and I let the pump pulse for about 30-40 seconds before starting when the car sits for a long time.
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          A piece of 1/8 sheet metal, a little shaping with hack saw and file, and two 5/16" holes. Easy.

For what it's worth...I still have the bad stock fuel pump on my daily driver wagon's 259...with an electric pump doing the pumping work..!

Mike
          What brand pump are you using? Part number?
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
            I have an electric fuel pump on my 1962 GT Hawk 289 at the gas tank with a plate on the block mechanical pump mounting boss. Works fine and I let the pump pulse for about 30-40 seconds before starting when the car sits for a long time.
            What brand pump are you using? Part number?
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Carter
              #P60504

Inline, comes with filter, VERY quiet.
              Low pressure, but plenty for any normal Stude. Not enough pressure if you will be doing much racing, but loaded, going up steep, roads...zero problems.
              It's a "MUCH" better setup than those little square pumps with the 1/4" fittings with a higher advertised pressure. The Carter has the fuel "volume" to backup the engine requirement.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. Amazon's got it for $42.99 plus $2 shipping. And hey, it's made in the USA!
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I was going to use the Airtex E 8902 6 volt electric pump- as a pusher pump and thinking about leaving the stock pump in place , the Airtex pump puts out 2-4 psi to help vapor lock and eaiser starting when the car sits for long perods of time BTW has any one used theAirtex pump
                  Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                    Any speed shop will have the block off plates.
                    Not even necessarily a speed shop. That pump base is pretty standard on a huge number of vehicles. Any NAPA, Carquest or even Pep Boys should have it in stock.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sorry Joe...but for the life of me, I can't understand why people want build a hand grenade..!?

An electric pump...pushing thru a mechanical pump...is an explosion just waiting to happen. Some have gotten away with it, but with the smallest split in the diaphram in the mech. pump, will allow fuel to enter...wait for it...the oil pan !
                      Not only will the fuel dilute the oil, but enough heat, and or pressure, and or ignition getting past a leaking piston ring...not a good scenario any way you arrange it.

Mike

Comment

Mike when have you seen this occur ? Mike if this was the case not only Studebakers but all cars would be a rolling bomb , how many fuel injection cars that use a pusher pump or since were on the subject just think of all the NEW cars that use Direct injection millions on the road your right any thing can happen Tell me then Why the late model BMW's catch on fire ??
                        Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Originally posted by G T Joe View Post
                          Mike when have you seen this occur ? Mike if this was the case not only Studebakers but all cars would be a rolling bomb , how many fuel injection cars that use a pusher pump or since were on the subject just think of all the NEW cars that use Direct injection millions on the road your right any thing can happen Tell me then Why the late model BMW's catch on fire ??
                          I think you missed an important point in Mike's comment. I believe the issue he has with the electric pump is when using it pushing through the stock mechanical pump. He makes a valid point, improbable or not. Many of us only use the electric pump for carb priming, so yes, an unlikely scenerio, but to run the electric pump constantly I agree, I wouldn't do it. I have a suplemental electric pump for priming, it's a replacement factory pump for a Toyota, about $15, but it is on a momentary switch which only powers it when my finger is on the switch.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	1716815

If running an electric pump constantly why would you leave the mechanical pump installed? If it's to keep it looking "factory" under the hood, I get that, but, it's a fairly simple thing to block the mechanical pump off from the engine and route the line from the electric pump through it so it will appear to be functional.
                          Last edited by bensherb; 10-17-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

G T Joe...

You apparently didn't read my post very well, or didn't understand it...or..!

Using a nice new electric fuel pump to force fuel to and THRU a mechanical pump that was not designed to be...force fed isn't in it's own right a good idea.
                            NOW, since every now and again, mechanical pumps fail. Either the one way valves fail or the diaphragm itself fails (tearing is the most common failure). So now, there is a direct path for fuel to pass by the bad valve and or the bad diaphragm.
                            Where does it go...into the oil pan..! Not in my opinion...a very good outcome to have to deal with..!

Mike

Comment

I blocked off the opening for the mechanical pump on my Sky Hawk, and installed a Carter electric pump. I have an Edelbrock 1403 carburetor with the fuel inlet on the right rear of it. Rather than running the fuel line in the Stock location, I installed it behind the engine, on the firewall then out to the carb. I used a very short piece of fuel hose from the end to the carb...

Comment

Working...
                              X