No announcement yet.

Guess Studebaker left it out???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Guess Studebaker left it out???

So I replaced the ignition switch in my Avanti today.

The spring was there but no spacer. Fits fine without one, wonder why the parts manual says there is one supposed to be there?

Very Simple!
    It is a Translucent Plastic Ring to Light the Key Hole through the hole in the Chrome Bezel.
    You must be missing the Ring and the Light. Someone was in there before you were!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Wow Rich! You are so correct!....When the car was purchased by me in 1966 I never remember any light illuminating the the starter switch key! And thank you so much why?.....because I could not figure out why the chrome bezel had a hole on the side of it! But the parts book does not indicate that there is supposed to be a light down there. Where would the light have attached, and do you have a p/n for it?? many thanks for the elucidation:-)
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Very Simple!
      It is a Translucent Plastic Ring to Light the Key Hole through the hole in the Chrome Bezel.
      You must be missing the Ring and the Light. Someone was in there before you were!

Comment

Avantis never came with the light. The ring is redundant without the light. In fact the switch was NEVER drilled or tapped for the light socket mounting tab screw. You will NOT find it in the parts book. The only reason I can think of them putting in the plastic spacer is to increase spring tension so the bezel "Tooth" remains seated.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There were short and long tension spring p/numbers for models with and without illuminated ignition (and nylon spacer). I don't have the parts book handy but you would expect Avanti models to have the longer spring if the light and ring were not used. Also, if you wanted to add illumination to the ignition of your Avanti, Chuck Collins has some clear rings that allow more light to shine through. The original rings were kind of milky and some other repro ones look more like white plastic. When used with red dash bulbs the clearer rings are needed for a nice glow!

Chris.

Comment

Working...
          X