1950 Land Cruiser Brake Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 1950 Land Cruiser Brake Cylinder

Question, did Studebaker ever use the same wheel cylinders on both the 50 champion and commander land cruiser? Everywhere I look Vendors list the same cylinder for both cars. I know on my land cruiser and in the parts catalog they are not even close to the champion cylinder.
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

No.

The Commander/Land Cruiser used different wheel cylinders than the Champion. The rear LC/Commander wheel cylinders were also used on 810/812 Cords. That's why they were so hard to find for years before being reproduced.

The master cylinder is the same for all 50 Studebakers, as well as many other years.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The 50 commander shared brake parts with the early c cab pickups
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to be sure. It's amazing how many vendors list the same cylinder for both the 1950 models.
        sigpic
        Barn Find
        1950 Champion
        Before I started
        Jim Berry
        Midlothian, TX

Comment

Studebaker specific vendors or FLAPS and online vendors?
          Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Most online. I have seen many parts dealers list the same for both cars. I don't purchase brake cylinders for the commander from them, did that once. Every one I have seen are selling champion compatible cylinders as universal for all 50 Studebakers. Also see quite a few selling one cylinder for both front and rear.
            This started couple years back, I needed cylinders for a land cruiser that were fairly rusty and ordered a set from I think it was Rockauto. Had to return them. Sent the rusty cylinders off and had them sleeved. No problem sense.
            sigpic
            Barn Find
            1950 Champion
            Before I started
            Jim Berry
            Midlothian, TX

Comment

Buying them from Studebaker Vendors you do not have that problem EVER, if you state the Correct Model and Year.
              Also you do not have to Pop for huge Bucks to have them sleeved.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
                Most online. I have seen many parts dealers list the same for both cars. I don't purchase brake cylinders for the commander from them, did that once. Every one I have seen are selling champion compatible cylinders as universal for all 50 Studebakers. Also see quite a few selling one cylinder for both front and rear.
                This started couple years back, I needed cylinders for a land cruiser that were fairly rusty and ordered a set from I think it was Rockauto. Had to return them. Sent the rusty cylinders off and had them sleeved. No problem sense.
                There's your problem. There's a reason why there are people in business to supply Studebaker parts.

Comment

I understand buying from a Studebaker vendor but in this case the cost is beyond reason, $60+ each from Studebaker vendors and as low as $18 elsewhere for champions. The cylinders for the 50 champion were used on several chevys, Plymouths and jeeps to name a few and as such are much easier to find. I have not yet found another brand that used the commander cylinders and at around $80+ each a sleeve at under $50 made a lot of sense, $120 a set saved and they are as good as new. I try to use Studebaker parts and quite often scrounge used parts. I have had several parts cars over the last few years and have not worried much if a part is technically correct as long as it fit and looked like a Studebaker part. I would bet that is the reason my land cruiser wound up with champion cylinders.
                  sigpic
                  Barn Find
                  1950 Champion
                  Before I started
                  Jim Berry
                  Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                  X