Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1962 Hawk Wheel Cover Touch Up Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels: 1962 Hawk Wheel Cover Touch Up Paint

I would like to touch up the red area in the center of my 1962 Hawk wheel covers. Any suggestions for matching paint?

I used Rustoleum "sunrise red" and "semi gloss black" and a lot of 1/8" tape. The red was gloss so I used Rustoleum matte clear over everything.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160409_083019.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1716628
    There's sombody on E-bay that sells stickers to do the job too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-1...19.m1438.l2649
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. Your wheel cover in the picture looks very nice. I am not a fan of the stickers.

Comment

Easier than taping, you can paint the colors sloppily, then before it dries, clean the edges around the paint with a gloved finger in a rag soaked with Acetone.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I tried that Roy. I would usually do that but those little ribs between the black bars are not very high so it was EXTREMELY difficult to do that way and didn't work for me, but I do have huge paws. It took about 40 minutes per wheel cover to mask everything, then I sprayed to my hearts content. Red first, masked it then black, then unmasked red and cleared it all.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X