Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Alternator Brushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Brushes

Hi All-
    Just got a new set of brushes from SASCO that have a push-fit flat terminal(male) on the end of the insulated(field) brush. (This is as shown in the service manual and parts catalog).
    My alternator has a ring(screw) terminal for the insulated brush. I was probably just going to de-solder the flat terminal and solder on a ring terminal.
    Anyone else run into this?
    Was also wondering if I could just find a ring to female push-fit adapter to use, if there is enough room..

BTW- Is anyone making reproduction alternator tags?

Car is 63 Hawk 289..
    Thanks! Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1958 Cushman Eagle
    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1956 Cushman Eagle

yes, Dave Thibeault sells repro tags. They are held on with what is known as "drive screws" although I think DAve includes a couple if you buy the tag from him. I suspect that Dennis is just selling new production brushes that fit, I concur, just change the terminals. I would both crimp and solder them (make sure the leads are long enough) although if you have an old VW or Porsche coil laying around I think they use the adapter you are looking for I probably wouldn't bother going that route.

good luck,

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Hi Nate-
      Thanks! I spoke to Dennis about the brushes and they are NORS Prestolite parts. I ended up finding the adapter I needed(just had to drill the hole out a bit larger) and made sure the connection was nice and tight so I think I'm good to go.

I worked out a system of tying back the brushes with dental floss(yup, dental floss!) that I snipped after the alternator halves were put back together. The floss slid right out from under the brushes after cutting. (I can post some pic's if anyone is interested)

I'll contact Dave T. about the repro. tags- Thanks! [8D]
      Best Regards- Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1958 Cushman Eagle
      -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment