lubrication and fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lubrication and fluids

I have a 63 GT Hawk, 289, power steering, 4 speed, manual brakes. I'm looking for a chart or list of modern lubricants that can be used without damaging the car, or could provide better service than the old lubricants. I have seen in the co-operator where they have listed several of these, but I have never seen a complete listing of all the currently available lubricants that can be substituted. Does anyone publish such a list??? Thanks in advance, Dennis[

The EPA is changing things so fast, I don't know if we could keep up with it! Maybe someone will give you this weeks suggestions, but don't expect it to last![:0] Especially the engine oil!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Which the following is one of many from last year, but I
      think one of the last ones....The CI 4 or CI 4+ formula
      stock, which is spoken about, is probably all dried up
      by now....unless you get lucky somewhere. I believe Bob
      Palma, of this forum might, be your best bet to quiz!

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rms=engine,oil

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Oh no, I feel a "battery hold down" discussion beginning! There are several threads dealing with engine lubrication. Go to the search feature, and type in engine oil. Be ready to be bombarded with a tremendous amount of information, speculation, opinion etc. There is a lot here.

Comment

Castrol oil is selling a motor oil specially designed for classic cars. It contains the needed levels of ZDDP. Check out the link.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7032644

Comment

Here's a new entry into the continued debate over the best oil for old cars. There's an ad in the latest Old Cars Weekly for Classic Car Motor Oil with "high zinc levels to protect valave train components, preservatives to keep oil on bare metal when the engine is run infrequently, high grade viscosity modifiers . . . . "

There's more, but you get the idea. Manuafactured by D-A Lubricant Company for the Indiana Region of the Classic Car Club of America.

www.classiccarmotoroil.com

Skip Lackie
            Washington DC
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the link Harvey, I've emailed Castrol Australia to see whether they're going to sell it here.

John Clements
              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
              Lockleys South Australia
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Thank you all for your comments and links. They have been a help. Right now I have been using Castrol GTX 20-50 in the engine, along with a little STP and seem to have no problems yet.
                What I am really concerned about are chassis lubricants, power steering fluid, brake fluid and other related lubricants. Any help there?? Thanks, Dennis

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dlynde012

Thank you all for your comments and links. They have been a help. Right now I have been using Castrol GTX 20-50 in the engine, along with a little STP and seem to have no problems yet.
                  What I am really concerned about are chassis lubricants, power steering fluid, brake fluid and other related lubricants. Any help there?? Thanks, Dennis

Chassis lube -- use modern stuff

Power steering fluid -- use automatic transmission fluid. Pick a type (Dexron or other) and stick with it.

Brake fluid -- Unless your car has been converted to silicone, use standard DOT 3 fluid. The debate over whether to convert over to silicone can be reviewed by using the search function above.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                  X