Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

USA Made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: USA Made?

Are Ignition parts still made in the United States, or are they now all made in China?

A very large chunk of ignition parts (points, condensers, plug wires, etc) are made in mexico....a lot in Reynosa, Mx at Wells Mfg. I used to work for one of it's sister companies.
    Mike Sal

Comment

The Quality of "Mexican" Ignition Condensers seem to one of the highest failure items. The Points seem OK.
      Most are purchased and sold by NAPA Auto Parts.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I better start buying up NOS parts for my R-1....Autolite, etc.
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The Quality of "Mexican" Ignition Condensers seem to one of the highest failure items. The Points seem OK.
        Most are purchased and sold by NAPA Auto Parts.

Comment

Ignition parts such as points, ignition coils and ballast resistors have an almost infinite life if stored properly. Condensers do have a problem with insulation breakdown even if they haven't been used, so it's best to use a new stock condenser when doing ignition service. The older stock condensers used paper as an insulator which breaks down over the years while the newer stock condensers use polyester as an insulator which has a much better life. I've had trouble with some of the new stock condensers and if I remember correctly they were made by Airtex and were supplied to me by one of our well known Studebaker parts dealers. I've been using condensers made by Standard Motor Parts Blue Streak and so far I haven't had a failure. For other ignition and electrical parts, EBAY is a good place to find them if you know what you are looking for as the ignition and electrical parts used by Studebaker were also used by other auto manufacturers. Bud

Comment

Yes the MoPar 426 Dizzy takes the same points, cond, and rotor. Just need the Autolite cross ref.
            Originally posted by Bud View Post
            Ignition parts such as points, ignition coils and ballast resistors have an almost infinite life if stored properly. Condensers do have a problem with insulation breakdown even if they haven't been used, so it's best to use a new stock condenser when doing ignition service. The older stock condensers used paper as an insulator which breaks down over the years while the newer stock condensers use polyester as an insulator which has a much better life. I've had trouble with some of the new stock condensers and if I remember correctly they were made by Airtex and were supplied to me by one of our well known Studebaker parts dealers. I've been using condensers made by Standard Motor Parts Blue Streak and so far I haven't had a failure. For other ignition and electrical parts, EBAY is a good place to find them if you know what you are looking for as the ignition and electrical parts used by Studebaker were also used by other auto manufacturers. Bud

Comment

Working...
            X