Bad ignition switch or??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepse;
    As far as I know I have never replaced the points in a 6 cylinder Studebaker Distributor.
    When I was a teenager working in the garage; the owner always removed the distributor from any car to replace the points. After which the distributor then went on the Sun or Allen machine to set the dwell and check the condition of the distributor. Most of the cars that came into the shop for a tune up were V8's Not the cheapest shop in town.

On my own cars I have always removed a distributor to replace the points. It is almost impossible to make sure that the movable part of the points hit the stationary part squarely; with the distributor in the car. Then the little screws always see to get away from the screw driver and end up inside the distributor or in some other unknown place. In the case of a 6 cylinder I would face the end of the rotor towards the engine block and mark the distributors location on the engine block.
    Ron

Comment

Okay, I will go that route. It has never been my favorite thing to remove a distributor but in this case I will do that just to make sure it is right and not lose any pieces. Altho I did find 2 more 6 cyl distributors but condition unknown so I will leave them for parts. It is something I have done in the past so here we go. Besides then I can cleanup the distributor body.

Thanks. Pepse.
      Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Okay. To make things easier I pulled the distributor and brought it home. Put in the new points, but the condenser won't fit. The bracket surrounding the condenser is too big. It sets against the lobes of the distributor. So, I got to looking around on internet for someone that might have the correct condenser. NOT Rockauto, not Ebay, not Canadian Studebaker, Not other places provided by the Studebaker Vendors page, except Studebaker International might have the right one but there is no price. Their page shows a picture of the type I ordered from Sudeparts.com and says it is for a V8. So, hopefully someone here knows where I can get the right condenser for my '57 6cyl.

Later. Pepse.
        Remember. ALWAYS fasten your seat belts as it makes it harder for the Aliens to suck you out of your car.

Comment

Pepse;
          You can mount the condenser anywhere as long as the wire on the condenser is connected to the wire that goes to the distributor. At the coil, on the outside of the distributor or anyplace that is convenient.
          Ron

Comment

So, since I will need a condenser with a 8" or longer wire does that mean any 12 volt condenser will work? Then too, I will need to drill a hole in the distributor to run the wire in. Right?

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Pepse;
              Ideally the condenser should be matched to the coil. By adjusting the value of the condenser; the pitting of the points can be reduced. I forget; a too large condenser causes the raised pit to be on one contact and too small a value causes it to be on the other contact. A hole forms on the contact that does not have a raised pit.
              To answer your question; just about any 12 volt distributor condenser should work to get the engine started.
              Ron

Comment

There is no way a Condensor ordered for the correct Distributor would NOT fit.

If you have a Delco Dist. it takes a 661926
                If an Autolite a 1555506 and yes it also fits Autolite V8 Dists.

Did the Points Fit OK, were they for Autolite or Delco?
                All Parts have Prices, except super rare limited quantity, usually Large Body Parts and those say: "call for price".

You must be using an "on-line Catalog", NEVER use those!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 10-24-2017, 11:43 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Are you sure the fuel line is a good place for a ground while testing the coil? Beside the possible fire hazard it may be insolated from ground by rubber hoses at the flex line and filter.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

StudeRich, the part number for the condenser I ordered is 1555506. So I don't know why it won't fit. Except to say the bracket around the condenser itself is too big. According to another vendor I have the wrong condenser. His claim is I need the one with the long flat copper band. It's nuts because I have 3 Auto-lite distributors and they all have the condenser with a round wire with a lug on the end. I would add pics but I don't see how since this forum changed its layout.

1954Khardtop, I doubt after 20+ years there is fuel in the line. But you have a good point about it possibly rubbered on both ends.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Since a vendor said I need the condenser with the copper band would it work okay on my system? Even tho the 3 distributors have the round wire? It seems to me from what has been said here is a condenser is a condenser so it shouldn't matter. Right?

Later. Pepse.

Comment

The ORIGINAL Autolite and mostly Prestolite Dist.'s did have a copper bare "Strap" lead on them, but the reason you see so many round insulated wires is, they are all aftermarket replacements 60 years later, either should work.

Can't you just slide the Clamp off of your Original Condensor that fit, and put it on the New one?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Okay at I know what is going on with that. As for the clamp, no. The problem with all 3 old ones is that the half clamp is tacked onto the barrel of the condenser, whereas the new one has a slide off full around the barrel clamp, but of course the clamp is too big. Which causing this dilemma.

Later. Pepse.

Comment

Working...
                          X