Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dropped spindles

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    There is a way to get the same effect as dropped spindles without cjtting springs and at the same time improving the camber gain while cornering.

    I will most likely do it after i get the Koni shock deal done.
    David L

    Comment


    • #17
      I know someone thinking about making the Bonneville R3 lower trunions. There has to be enough of a market to make it worth while. Most likely a 5 axis cnc machined part.
      He has the blue prints.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com


      "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

      Comment


      • #18
        How many R3 lower trunions need to be ordered/sold to make manufacture cost effective?
        \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
        The Replacements.

        Comment


        • #19
          He is still costing this out. I will let everyone know of possible production and price points as we get closer to production.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com


          "Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

          Comment


          • #20
            Those might result in more of a drop than most want.
            David L

            Comment


            • #21
              I'd go back to the original body position relative to the frame. Whatever packaging problems can surely be solved with one of the myriad of configurations of the SBC.


              But back to the original question, wonder if Stude kingpins are common with any more common cars such as chebby?
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                wonder if Stude kingpins are common with any more common cars such as chebby?
                No, the earlier Chevy and Corvette used kingpins, but none are interchangeable with Stude.

                jack vines
                PackardV8

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm sure someone with the talent and desire could modify the Studebaker A arms to use ball joints from a brand X that has different spindles available. Anything is possible if you want to work hard enough at it. This option would also allow for disc brakes as part of the package. If new A arms were designed with adjusters, steering geometry would be more adjustable too. Just a thought, and not saying that ball joints are superior to kingpins, just more common.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                    I'm sure someone with the talent and desire could modify the Studebaker A arms to use ball joints from a brand X that has different spindles available. Anything is possible if you want to work hard enough at it. This option would also allow for disc brakes as part of the package. If new A arms were designed with adjusters, steering geometry would be more adjustable too. Just a thought, and not saying that ball joints are superior to kingpins, just more common.
                    There is at least one person working on that, but my understanding is that the issue is finding an acceptable ball joint-equipped spindle that is "tall" enough. It's a slippery slope - where do you stop? And, if you are not driving g but a few hundred or few thousand miles a year, is it really worth it?
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Seems like the A arm modification could include the needed spacers to use a shorter spindle. The lower A arm would need to be modified also and could include a spacer to center, lower, or raise the spindle as needed with matching spacers for the upper A arm.
                      Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                      There is at least one person working on that, but my understanding is that the issue is finding an acceptable ball joint-equipped spindle that is "tall" enough. It's a slippery slope - where do you stop? And, if you are not driving g but a few hundred or few thousand miles a year, is it really worth it?
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I put adjustable coil spring shocks in my lark. Would loved to run the studie motor but could not make the power my small block 400 makes.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                          Seems like the A arm modification could include the needed spacers to use a shorter spindle. The lower A arm would need to be modified also and could include a spacer to center, lower, or raise the spindle as needed with matching spacers for the upper A arm.
                          If you place a spacer between the ball joint and the A-arm with the ball joint attached to the spindle in the normal way you haven't made the spindle taller. The effective height of the spindle is the distance between the pivot points of the ball joints. This would also mess up the suspension geometry if trying to use / modify the existing A-arms.

                          Of course the only reason to consider modifications is because you want to improve the suspension geometry to improve handling. If you don't know what you are doing you could make it worse.
                          David L

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I have 2" Dropped KINGPINS on my '63 Avanti that I bought from Phil Harris / Fairborn Studebaker. Installed them 5 years ago. Very pleased........no issues.
                            John

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              There you go.................just when we were about to re-invent the wheel someone beat us to it.
                              Originally posted by JLB View Post
                              I have 2" Dropped KINGPINS on my '63 Avanti that I bought from Phil Harris / Fairborn Studebaker. Installed them 5 years ago. Very pleased........no issues.
                              John
                              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                              1950 Champion Convertible
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                              1957 Thunderbird

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                What about these lowering springs from Eaton? Are they any good?
                                https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/application/avanti/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X