Porche Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Porche Tach

The notes that came with my '63 Avanti say "Replaced tach with Porche unit". This happened many many years ago. Well, how would I know what a real Avanti tach looks like, and if this is a Porche tach or not. I do know that it reads about 20% low. Seems to just have 3 wires, one wire to the points side of the coil, one to 12v, and one to ground.

Actually, what I think I should do is just replace it with a "modern" tach. Question is: What modern tach would have the correct looking face, needle, etc. to match the dash. Oh, and be the correct diameter, of course. Then the only big issue will be how in the world to get these big old hands in behind that dash to remove/replace the unit. I DID remove the chrome end panel on the dash, cut away the fiberglass that would be hidden behind that panel, and gain pretty good access to the speedo half of the gauges, but the tach is a different story.
    Corley

Seems to me the best solution would be to find a used Avanti tach that looks good, even if non-working, and then have a instrument rep;air/restore service put the guts of a modern electronic tach into it, and eliminate the need for a sender.

I recently had occasion to work under the dash of an Avanti. Number one: remove the driver's seat, and place a thin mattress on the car floor to lie on, so the ridge that supports the front of the driver's seat doesn't dig into your back. Might as well be comfortable.

The speedo is held in by struts at about the 8:00 and 2:00 positions. It's pretty easy to access the 8:00 one to both remove and replace the 3/8" nut holding the strut. At the 2:00 position, it's tough to undo the nut, and next to impossible to start it back on. So, what I did: for removal use a nut driver/whatever, get both nuts off, and undo the cable; speedo comes out. That gives you room to work on the other instruments, too. Replacing the speedo: put the 2:00 strut on the stud, and run the nut on a turn or two. You can then insert the speedo in the dash, and get the long leg of the strut past the face of the dash quite easily. Then install the 8:00 strut from behind, and start the nut in the usual way. Tighten both nuts, install the cable and the lamps, and you're done. By eliminating the well-nigh impossible step of starting the nut on the 2:00 strut from behind the dash, a tough job becomes not easy, but tolerable.

The same trick should work for the tach, but might not be as necessary. In any case, getting the speedo out of the way makes removal of the tach easier.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      Seems to me the best solution would be to find a used Avanti tach that looks good, even if non-working, and then have a instrument rep;air/restore service put the guts of a modern electronic tach into it, and eliminate the need for a sender.
      Thanks Gord, I appreciate the ideas on accessing the Avanti instruments, that is a terribly tight area to work in. Any ideas to help with that access are good ideas. My hole through the side under the chrome cover helped a lot, and enabled me to replace the speedo cable pretty easily, with only a couple of blood gushers, but further help is even better.

Not sure I see any benefit to reworking an original tach with modern guts though, IF one can find a modern unit with the same/similar look/fit already. Reworking an original unit would certainly cost more than just purchasing a new unit. So the question is still out there, does anyone know of a tach that has the same look/fit as the original '63 Avanti tachometer? (The current one I have doesn't look much like the other gauges, being inset further and having heavier lines/numbers. Anyone know of an online photo of an original for this car so I can see what it's supposed to look like?)
      Corley

Comment

Not sure I see any benefit to reworking an original tach with modern guts though, IF one can find a modern unit with the same/similar look/fit already.
        Similar is in the eye of the beholder. Some are willing to pay the man to get the old face and needle on a new tach. Others, if it fits the hole, that's close enough. Studebaker used Stewart-Warner instruments and their aftermarket tachs have been sold in a dozen different face styles but the same diameter as Studes. Those made the last thirty years or so don't require senders.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

An original tach will add value to your 63. Remove the Porsche tach and sell it on Ebay or wherever. Use the proceeds from that to purchase the RIGHT tach for the car. These cars are special enough that they deserve to have original parts put back on them.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I've got a used '63 Avanti tach on the shelf somewhere.

Do you know if you've got the sending unit still under there?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

The Stewart Warner "Deluxe" series tach # 82162B is a pretty good match for the GT Hawk tach. It's a little different than the Avanti one, but modern 3 wire, and reasonably priced. You could probaby swap the face and needle the the factory Avanti tach and have a new modern 3 wire Avanti tach if the apearence isn't close enough.

Comment

Working...
              X