62-63 radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 62-63 radio

Hello All, about to reinstall a 62/63 origanal radio just a couple of questions someone may be able to help Me with,1,what ohm speaker do i need,,2 do i need to ground the speaker wire ,or can i just run it straight to speaker,,, thanks In advance for you help Ray

The radio case itself should be grounded. The speaker is not grounded. Should have two wires (- & +) that feed directly into the radio itself. Polarity matters on the wiring. Then B+ line from radio is also fused (3 amps) I believe.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

You need a 10 ohm speaker. In a pinch, an 8 ohm will work, but it will put quite a load on the output transistor. One of the output wires from the radio is a ground to the speaker, and one is a output wire. The third wire is the power to a fused switched B+. Do not ground the speaker to any of the terminals.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The radios are different from 62 to 63, but both will fit into the opening in the dash.

Do you know the AC - number of the radio? It's on a paper tag on the case.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1716225Hi Roy, its AC3216, thanks for your Replys all,
          Last edited by brooker; 09-03-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

The 3216 is the correct radio for 1962 cars. I needs at least an 8 ohm speaker to keep the output transistor from drawing excessive current, overheating and failing. The 3216 radio has a shorting bar on the speaker connector close to the output transformer. Without the correct plug the speaker will be shorted out and will not work as the plug pushes the shorting bar away from the ground connection. The shorting bar can be bent out of the way if necessary for the radio to work. Bud

Comment

Working...
            X