Lark Radio install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Lark Radio install

I'm trying to install a radio into my 60 Lark, and I have a bracket that was supposed to hold it in place, but I can't easily see where it attaches to the radio, much less where under the dash it's supposed to secure to. Maybe I'm missing a brace/bracket under the dash? I have a radio that came from a 60 Lark, the radio that came with this Lark (not installed) and a radio that is supposed to fit in a Lark, but I can't easily determine where the bracket attaches on the radio much less under the dash, and the Body Parts catalog doesn't even show this bracket, much less how the radio rests in the dash. Has anyone removed/installed one recently that can help?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1755591Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 008.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1755592Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 005.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1755593Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 006.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1755594

So, of the 3 radios, the least nicest looking one (of course) fits tightest, but still, not securely in the opening, with only the pressure of the ears around the knobs holding the unit secure to the faceplate around the knurled nuts around the instrument knobs. ( I think that's how you'd describe it) :

Name:	radio 010.jpg
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1716199Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 012.JPG
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	1716200Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 013.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1716201Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 014.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1716202Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 015.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1716203Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 017.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1716204

Radio 1, Radio 2, Radio 3, from a 60 Lark. No bracket mounting. The last 2 pics show the difference in width of the threading on the knobs though the ears appear to be interchangeable. Is there some mounting trick to even out the threading, as that looks like there is. Finally, radio that fits does not say Studebaker on it, were there units from the factory that didn't say Studebaker on them?

Comment

In your first picture in your first post: the top and bottom radios should fit your car. The middle radio is for a later car. I have not taken my glove box out of my 60 to look for mounting locations.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

There is a channeled bracket about 1" wide which bolts (Looking under dash) to the right hand side of the radio slipping into a raised cut out in the lip of the sheet metal then a bolt turned up into the radio from the underside of the lip. The other end bolts to the upper panel below the windshield. At least this is how mine is mounted on my 59' Lark. I would imagine yours is the same. Hope this helps.

Comment

In Post #1 Picture #1 the one in the middle is the style/shape used on '62 to '66 Dashes, and will not work correctly on '59-'61 without Mods to the Mounting Faceplate and the rear support strap. It is fully Transistorized the others are Tube Type.

Yes they are all Studebaker Radios.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. lavallee View Post
            There is a channeled bracket about 1" wide which bolts (Looking under dash) to the right hand side of the radio slipping into a raised cut out in the lip of the sheet metal then a bolt turned up into the radio from the underside of the lip. The other end bolts to the upper panel below the windshield. At least this is how mine is mounted on my 59' Lark. I would imagine yours is the same. Hope this helps.
            Ah! Remembering what the C sliding bracket looked like in the body parts catalog, I get it now. I was expecting that that bracket screwed in to things on top and bottom, HOWEVER, if it is only screwed into the radio, but just rests on top of that brace like "foot", I see how that would work to stabilize the radio in there! I just assumed, with that weight, it would be fastened on both ends!

Comment

Leo, Studebaker International sells an installation kit for the 1960 Lark radio that has the back brace included. Their part number of the is kit 1550662. It is on page #54 of their catalog #2014. Your dash cut out resembles my 61 Lark. The front of the radio on mine is as you say it is held in place by sandwiching the dash metal between the aluminum trim plate and the brackets on the threaded control shafts. The rear brace is held on a stud on the right side of the radio and onto the lower ledge of the dash. Believe it or not the radio is pretty solid when all is said and done. I think the manual tuning radio you have is the only one that will fit the right side is right smack up against the glove box and that transformer sticking out the side looks like a problem for a fit.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                In Post #1 Picture #1 the one in the middle is the style/shape used on '62 to '66 Dashes, and will not work correctly on '59-'61 without Mods to the Mounting Faceplate and the rear support strap. It is fully Transistorized the others are Tube Type.

Yes they are all Studebaker Radios.
                Thank you. It didn't seem like it, someone gave it to me somewhere along the way, "in case".

Comment

I see the install kit you're describing. I'll call to see if I can just get that bracket as the speaker's shot, unknown if the radio works and the antenna is just there to plug up the hole in the fender. Ignition noise suppression is irrelevant. Thanks though for that description and comment. Off now to fool with the manual internal telescoping antenna to see how that mounts on the kick panel.

Comment

The radio in this car sits completely above the glove box, I was surprised to see with the radio with all the externals, they really fit fine on both sides, it was just snug up against the section of defroster hose running across the back of the radio.

Comment

Sorry to bother you, could you try to get a photo of that bracket sometime today or tomorrow? To confirm. If not, that's ok, it would be a hassle; today I'm well aware of the position needed to photograph that!

Comment

Name:	P9030134.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1716224Click image for larger version

Name:	P9030122.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1716223
                        Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                        Sorry to bother you, could you try to get a photo of that bracket sometime today or tomorrow? To confirm. If not, that's ok, it would be a hassle; today I'm well aware of the position needed to photograph that!
                        Here goes I never posted a photo before. Hope this works. This is right side of 61 Lark radio, dash has same cutout as 60 Lark.

Comment

Thanks Graylark, that helps a lot. Definitely not what is under my dash. On this car, the back of the radio is much further from the back inside of the dash, as yours appears. I'm thinking I can get away with fashioning something from the hardware store to get the job done, since I have no support running under the side of the radio where the stud sets.

Name:	radio 002.JPG
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1716237
                          I'm thinking, just finding a small L bracket for a cabinet and securing it in the left side of the radio then onto the top of the dash brace. Run a small screw up into the dash brace as well.

Comment

Well, it's crude, but it should do the job. I slipped a piece of bicycle inner tube on the bracket that rests on the dash bracket below the radio. Kudos to those of you who photo document as you go through a project. I intended to show the radio resting in its place, but I went right to Step 3 and installed the glove box. Given how ornery that is, I didn't go back to take a photo in place. Bracket. Dash before. Dash After.

Name:	radio 001.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1716245Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio 003.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1716246Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 003.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1716247Click image for larger version

Name:	radio 005.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1716248
                            Given how hard it was drilling in to the radio case, that puppy's not going anywhere. Yes, I looked first before drilling and there was only open space on the other side of the case where I drilled.
                            Now, the fricken antenna...that's not been a cakewalk either.

Comment

You didn't get any chips or filings inside the radio when you drilled, did you? That would be a deal killer.
                              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X