Recommendations for a Good Carburetor Rebuilder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Recommendations for a Good Carburetor Rebuilder

Have a 60 Lark with a Carter WCFB, 259 V8. Was out of commission for almost a year. Mechanic got it running again, but said the carburetor started leaking. Had another one on the shelf and he put that one in, but it does not run very well now. The idle is very rough and the throttle rod maybe a little loose. Had the other one rebuilt about two years ago but something happened and needs another rebuild. Would like to find a real good carburetor rebuilder to go through it once more, so the engine will idle smoothly again. Feels like it is going to cut out at a stop. Would like to feel confident about driving it again. So any sound recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Garth Collins, San Francisco, CA.

It sounds like it could be poor installations, not all the Carb's fault.

The Fast Idle Cam, Automatic Choke, Main Idle Speed Stop, Idle Richness Adjustments, Carb. Linkage all need to be PROPERLY adjusted when a Carb. is installed.
    If there is no WORKING Throttle Check (Dashpot) installed on an Automatic Trans. Car, the Throttle returns too fast.

I am not so sure you need a Carb. rebuild, just a GOOD Mechanic.

Have you talked to our SDC Turning Wheels Magazine Advertiser and long time Club Member Carl Thoms at Studebakers West in Redwood City, CA ?

Also, if the Timing and Distributor Point Gap is not correct or there is a Vacuum leak somewhere it will not idle.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My guess is a vacuum leak...

Comment

My advice, even after seeing some "professional" (meaning they put a sticker with their name on their carbs) rebuilds and given the age/condition of the ol' things... do what's necessary to put on a new Edelbrock and never mess with it again. Just sayin...

Comment

I had my WCFB rebuilt by Dave T-Bow. Car runs perfectly and the carb looks like new.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

The above suggestions COULD be good for your Car but useless, without PROPER Installation as noted in Post #2.
            StudeRich

Comment

1403 Edelbrock $325
              1/2" phenolic spacer $20
              adapter ring for air cleaner $20
              wire up the electric choke

total time 60 minutes....includes a beer break

then go put some miles on it
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

The SDC has long embraced those who modify their vehicles; even has two separate judging classes for those. But, without putting down those who say that is the way to go, they also need to understand the pride one may take in keeping them properly functioning just the way they left the factory.

Rich recommends verifying correct installation first. Best advice.
                Others recommend replacing with a modern setup. Nothing wrong with that if is one's desire. Just don't throw away those original pieces.
                If it is determined that a quality rebuild is in order there are a number of places folks will recommend; all good. I have always used Dave (T-bow) Thibeault. Ranks with the best, and probably has one on the shelf ready for a core swap.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Not to take anything away from Dave, He is a great guy and does excellant work, but another sorce is Daytona Parts co in Florida. They rebuilt a Holley updraft for my Tractor which others said was un-rebuildable. Works great.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Dave Thibeault has serviced 3 cars and 5 carburetor rebuilds without a complaint or problem. Very reliable, call friendly and very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      Not to take anything away from Dave, He is a great guy and does excellant work, but another sorce is Daytona Parts co in Florida. They rebuilt a Holley updraft for my Tractor which others said was un-rebuildable. Works great.
                      Too late Neil, another post running here now, says that the Carb. rebuilding portion of Daytona's Business has been discontinued a while back, only Parts Now.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        It sounds like it could be poor installations, not all the Carb's fault.

The Fast Idle Cam, Automatic Choke, Main Idle Speed Stop, Idle Richness Adjustments, Carb. Linkage all need to be PROPERLY adjusted when a Carb. is installed.
                        If there is no WORKING Throttle Check (Dashpot) installed on an Automatic Trans. Car, the Throttle returns too fast.

I am not so sure you need a Carb. rebuild, just a GOOD Mechanic.

Have you talked to our SDC Turning Wheels Magazine Advertiser and long time Club Member Carl Thoms at Studebakers West in Redwood City, CA ?

Also, if the Timing and Distributor Point Gap is not correct or there is a Vacuum leak somewhere it will not idle.
                        I owned a '55 President State Coupe with an automatic transmission. It was bone stock and only had 65,000 original miles on it when I got it. The WCFB was a 2214A or 2219A with a brass date tag that agreed with the date on the build sheet. The colors on the carb were still strong, it had no counter weight on the secondaries, and had a dash-pot

Comment

Daytona Parts in New Smyrna no-longer rebuilds or restores carburetors. He was one of the very best. I would endiorse Dave T as well as a guy in St Louis named Kuntz. Kuntz does work for the Corvette guys and his work is above reproach.

Comment

Everyone keeps skipping over the obvious answer - as noted by StudeRich - Studebakers West is in Redwood City, CA and would be quite close to the person asking the original question.

Comment

Studebakers West rebuilt the carburetor in my Avanti this spring and I'm happy with the results.

-- Scott
                              64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Working...
                              X