Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Foot Operated Parking Brake Mechanism Replacement

O.K. experts --

The foot operated parking brake mechanism in my "new" 1964 Daytona is broken to the extent that the pedal swings up way past where it should.

I know it is bad because the pedal in my 1964 Wagonaire stops in the correct place. (Always nice to have two of the same year car for reference!)

I have a NOS mechanism to install -- looks like it is held in by two nuts from underneath --

Can I just unbolt and disconnect/reconnect the parking brake cable and reinstall or do I need to be aware of any possible pitfalls?

Or is this something I should take to a local brake shop to have done?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Jackameit.
    Bill Jackameit
    1964 Challenger Wagonaire
    1964 Daytona Sedan
    Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
    Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
    https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

It could just be some simple adjustment to your brake system that is needed.

First, adjust the rear drums. There is a slot on the bottom and you can get a brake spoon from a parts store. With the wheel free to spin adjust the brakes until a slight drag is felt.

Next, underneath there is a pivot where the cable from the EBrake pedal pulls the cables to your wheels. There is an adjustment there as well, Double nutted and you can take up slack on the Ebrake cable.

Hopefully this helps.

Comment

You have 2 bolts that hold it at the bottom lip of the dash and if I recall there are two on the firewall probably covered by undercoating. I usually put the brake as extended as possible and vise grip the cable so as I release the pedal it comes out of the slot. Most times I find the spring breaks and won't hold the keeper in place. Good Luck!
      Rob in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
        You have 2 bolts that hold it at the bottom lip of the dash and if I recall there are two on the firewall probably covered by undercoating. I usually put the brake as extended as possible and vise grip the cable so as I release the pedal it comes out of the slot. Most times I find the spring breaks and won't hold the keeper in place. Good Luck!
        Rob in PA.
        X2

Rob is exactly right on the bolts, and his Vive grip method is exactly what I do. Just changed one on my Daytona hardtop.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
        X