Paxton SN 60 Supercharger 'Clocking' Parts needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Paxton SN 60 Supercharger 'Clocking' Parts needed

I have a new paxton sn 60 for my Hawk, but it is clocked for an Avanti. I need to rotate the rear housing towards the Right fender, so it lines up. Does anyone know if any of the internal parts would prevent me from just removing the bolts and rotating it around? I have made special 'clamps' to keep it from trying to spring open. The exploded view in the shop manual looks like it might work......

I need a JTS (single belt) Paxton SN 60 output pulley and woodruff key. Also need a belt and the hose between the blower and the bonnet. I have parts to trade, cash or labor ... I have 20,000 Part numbers in stock. I work on many Studebakers, just not many equipped like this one.
    Last edited by (S); 08-27-2017, 02:31 PM.

You don't really need any clamp, as long as you don't accidentally drop the case, and have the drive balls roll accross the floor, you aren't going to hurt anything by moving the back half and the front half. In fact yo may wish to seperate the case somewhat so you can line up the housing bolt holes visually. Some SN-60 cases only have mounting holes for the Avsnti brackets and won't line up with the JTS or Golden Hawk bracket holes. You may have t slipt the case anyways, and drill and tap the front case.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The last "new" Paxton I bought some years ago came with more holes than almost anyone would need. Should be no problems. In fact, I found that some Stude people avoided them for that reason... different than what their cars came with.

Comment

Yes, this is a 1970's version. It has multiple (smaller thread size) holes all around the front half of the case, however-- the rear half of the case (larger thread size) only has the main 6 holes threaded. I managed to turn the rear half of the case toward the right fender, but it seems the bonnet does not line up with the output of the blower... I am missing the hose between the blower and the bonnet. I am missing the blower pulley and woodruff key, I'll post a pic, maybe someone can help fill in some blanks..... I need these parts to get JTS 1499 running again. It is in a 63 GT , matching numbers 4 speed car...... Thanks Bez!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	R 2 Hawk  SN 60 and Fuel Pump 001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1716063Click image for larger version

Name:	R 2 Hawk  SN 60 and Fuel Pump 012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1716064Click image for larger version

Name:	R 2 Hawk  SN 60 and Fuel Pump 007.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1716065 If you can make out the BLUE tape between the halves, this is where my rear half has threaded holes., The ONLY holes. Thanks for any help

Is that the correct bonnet? Or do I need to rotate the rear section some more??? Thanks
          Last edited by (S); 08-27-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

63 r2 [ATTACH=CONFIG]66517[/ATTACH]

Comment

The bonnet hat you have is the wrong part. You need the special super hawk bonnet. Then it will line up with the blower outlet.
              Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]66511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]66513[/ATTACH] If you can make out the BLUE tape between the halves, this is where my rear half has threaded holes., The ONLY holes. Thanks for any help

Is that the correct bonnet? Or do I need to rotate the rear section some more??? Thanks
                Most SN-60 superchargers had mounting holes drilled every 10 degrees. SN-60 superchargers made for Studebaker had only the holes that were actually used. Avanti's are different from Lark/Hawk versions. Serial #'s start with "MS" or "ML" respectively. The six bolts that hold the supercharger together are smaller than the mounting holes and pass through them.
                You may have an Avanti bonnet. The Lark/Hawk is different. There are good pictures of the Avanti bonnet on the VS-57 site. Sorry I don't have a picture of the Lark/Hawk bonnet. The angle of the hose is very different. I remember thinking it was like it was looking over its shoulder! The connecting hose may be just a straight section.
                Mike M

Comment

MS are Avanti superchargers and ML are for top mount Hawks and Larks. The bonnet for the Hawk has an angle at the blower end that will line up with blower outlet.

Comment

Yep I found a couple good Pics of that Bonnet and Hose, we definitely need the Angled Carb. Bonnet, this car never had the Paxton hooked up since it was found, so most of it was in the trunk, some correct parts, some parts not so much:

Name:	63 Black R2 4speed 63V8404d.JPG
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1716087 Click image for larger version

Name:	63 Blue Mist R2b.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1716088
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Mike, I have a single belt SN60 pulley that has two "chips" broken out on the outer rim, one on the outside face and one on the inside, they shouldn't hurt the functionality and could work until you can find a nice one, Its free if you come pick it up.
                      Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Thats great Mark, I'll be in touch. Now to find the bonnet and a spare pulley...

Comment

This is the look of the bonnet you need..

Was this an original SC car or are you gathering parts to make one?

I can not see the top of your carburetor very well, but the SC carb was different.

This one is a NON SC AFB Carburetor..

Follow the brass vent tubes from inside out and on the outside of the air inlet you will see small holes (4 total) drilled in the vent galley.

This one is a SC AFB carburetor

It has no little holes outside the air inlet..

You do not want to be applying boost to a Carb that has holes on the outside, or that does not have a seal on the accelerator pump..

Comment

Your pic of the bonnet looks like what I need. Yes, this is a real JTS Hawk, numbers match. It has the original 'sealed' carb with the tag. This is JTS 1499 in a 63 GT Hawk. It came to me minus the blower, some blower parts, water manifold, etc. I have had the car since 2002, and finally have most of the stuff to put it back together, It has had the frame ground and repainted, some interior detail work, new parts all over. The engine has been checked out, new fuel tank, all new brakes, and these last few bits will make it complete again.

Comment

(S), your mail box is full and I can not send you a PM..

In comparing the placement of the outlet in the top picture to your picture on the bottom, I do not believe you need to re-clock your SC.

Name:	00r0r_kjhtfdEfk49_1200x900.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1716164

Last edited by SScopelli; 08-31-2017, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X