Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

how do I remove center horn button and ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• christophe
    replied
    Originally posted by mch View Post
    to respond to Christophe, you were correct as the replacements sent out from 2 different vendors were much to thick. I was able to salvage the original
    Mark
    Thanks for your confirmation, Mark.
    I still can't believe that our vendors can't find a correct replacement for this. This is not a big deal, of course, but I think that someone in a hurry could easily break the button while trying to use one of these.
    Nice day to all.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    So after 19 months, has this Hawk Steering Gear been PROPERLY fixed by now or what?

If you had your "Mechanic" reposition the Steering wheel, the Car would wander all over the road because the Steering Gear is not centered.

The horn button is a non-important issue and a simple fix.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    As to o-ring being too thick, if you have a belt sander, you can put the o-ring around a can it fits snugly on, hold the can loosly and let the can via the o-ring spin against the belt sander until it fits.

Leave a comment:

• 1954khardtop
    replied
    If things have gotten out of adjustment over the years you may have to start from scratch. The procedure for that is to count the turns lock to lock, and go halfway to center the steering gear. Then adjust the left tie rod until the left tire is pointing straight ahead, making sure the steering gear has remained centered. Next adjust the toe in with the right tie rod. Now the steering gear should be centered with the wheels pointed straight, and you can level the steering wheel.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    I had the same problem with the O-ring. I ended up cutting a narrow strip of glass setting tape, that fit the groove. It was the perfect thickness, and glass setting tape is a little bit sticky by nature, so it worked out well. I agree with others here. The pitman arm, or tie rods should be adjusted to get things back to the original steering wheel location. Then an alignment.

Leave a comment:

• mch
    replied
    to respond to Christophe, you were correct as the replacements sent out from 2 different vendors were much to thick. I was able to salvage the original
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• mch
    replied
    taking some time to review earlier posts, the majority of responses are always on target. Funny how some just cant wait to add their stupid

Leave a comment:

• Mark L
    replied
    Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
    Simply put, there is no master spline arrangement. That is a later (than Studebaker) development.
    That would then explain why it can be one or more splines off.

Leave a comment:

• Bo Markham
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark L View Post
    If the end of the sector shaft has a master spline to engage the master spline of the pitman arm, how is it possible to get the pitman arm installed one or two splines off?

With a master spline arrangement, I can possibly see the pitman arm being installed after being rotated 180 degrees about the long axis of the arm, such that the side that would normally face the engine is flipped so that it is facing away from the engine instead. In this case, the master spline would still engage properly, but now there might be a problem with the pitman arm being too close to the frame if the arm is made with an offset bend, or the tapered shaft of the reach rod not engaging into the taper of the pitman arm.
    Simply put, there is no master spline arrangement. That is a later (than Studebaker) development.

Leave a comment:

• 345 DeSoto
    replied
    Wrong Pitman arm?...

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The bottom line seems to still apply here, if your mechanic misaligned the Steering Wheel to compensate for his error assembling the gearbox, this Car will drive Terrible!

After a year and a half, I hope you come back with the correct fix.
    I don't think a new horn button will fix this.

Leave a comment:

• Mark L
    replied
    If the end of the sector shaft has a master spline to engage the master spline of the pitman arm, how is it possible to get the pitman arm installed one or two splines off?

With a master spline arrangement, I can possibly see the pitman arm being installed after being rotated 180 degrees about the long axis of the arm, such that the side that would normally face the engine is flipped so that it is facing away from the engine instead. In this case, the master spline would still engage properly, but now there might be a problem with the pitman arm being too close to the frame if the arm is made with an offset bend, or the tapered shaft of the reach rod not engaging into the taper of the pitman arm.
    Last edited by Mark L; 04-06-2019, 12:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• christophe
    replied
    If your O ring is still in good shape, don't discard it. I bought a replacement one but could not use it as it was too thick.

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    Well we have to love your honesty when you say you are not a mechanic....best to leave the actual "wrenching" to a professional, less chance of damage to rare parts, and more chance of a positive outcome.
    Originally posted by mch View Post
    Well, the idea of pushing and rotating wasn't the way. Removing the center plastic button was the way. Well, stuff broke prior, Dave Thibeault to my rescue by calling me around 6p tonight after reading an email. Parts are on their way. another lesson learned.
    thank you all for the suggestions, observations, corrections, comments and obvious statements to a non mechanic Studebaker guy.
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• mch
    replied
    Well, the idea of pushing and rotating wasn't the way. Removing the center plastic button was the way. Well, stuff broke prior, Dave Thibeault to my rescue by calling me around 6p tonight after reading an email. Parts are on their way. another lesson learned.
    thank you all for the suggestions, observations, corrections, comments and obvious statements to a non mechanic Studebaker guy.
    Mark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X