Avanti stainless steel exhaust and mufflers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Avanti stainless steel exhaust and mufflers

I've read on here about where NOT to buy stainless pipes and mufflers, and it a bit confusing. I think everyone can use an update, anyhow.

Does anyone have any first hand advice on what is the best solution/company to get a stainless steel set of pipes and mufflers for an Studebaker powered AVANTI?

Ive owned the car , an R-2, for 40 years, but never had the exhaust system worked on, and on the way to a car show this weekend, my co-pilot said he could hear an exhaust leak.

Also, once bought, can you put them on yourself? or does more work need to be done to install?

All responses will be welcome, and thanks.

Jim
    Jim Ober

I have been very happy with Don Simmons's exhaust systems (Silvertone Exhaust Systems)and have been using them for over 20 years. They are mostly plug and play, no special skills needed,just basic hand tools. I would recommend you check your exhaust manifolds for cracks before ordering new pipes and mufflers unnecessarily. Others may have different suggestions.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

^^^^^ What Frank said. Very happy with Don's system and he'll walk you through the installation, if necessary. Bob

Comment

Another recommendation for Don Simmons
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I agree Don Simmons has a good system. Do it yourself laying on you're back?? I did it my self many years ago, not today.
          With the car up on a lift it is a retaliatively easy job. The hardest part of the job is disconcerting the pipe from the exhaust manifold. You hope that whomever previously replaced the exhaust system; used the brass nuts. You also need heavy duty exhaust u bolt clamps along with new exhaust manifold to pipe gaskets and brass nuts. The stainless is harder to compress then standard exhaust pipe.
          You need to take your time as the clearances are tight. If you have the cross over pipe the alignment is harder.
          Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
            I agree Don Simmons has a good system. Do it yourself laying on you're back?? I did it my self many years ago, not today.
            With the car up on a lift it is a retaliatively easy job. The hardest part of the job is disconcerting the pipe from the exhaust manifold. You hope that whomever previously replaced the exhaust system; used the brass nuts. You also need heavy duty exhaust u bolt clamps along with new exhaust manifold to pipe gaskets and brass nuts. The stainless is harder to compress then standard exhaust pipe.
            You need to take your time as the clearances are tight. If you have the cross over pipe the alignment is harder.
            Ron
            Ron's made a good point about the clamps. Buy them from Don, when you buy the exhaust, as well as gaskets etc. They are heavy duty. Bob

Comment

I have a set of ss from Don...........but!! even on my buds lift it took over four hours to remove and reinstall....the fine tuning of final adjustments was maddening!

Comment

I have a complete SS exhaust system from Don Simmons and am looking forward to installing it soon (not)! One piece of advice I accepted from my brother (also a Studebaker fan) is to use stainless steel "band" clamps. These should help in 2 ways: (1) They apply pressure evenly over their 3" length, so don't put a crimp in the pipe, and (2) They should seal any leaks, at least better than the traditional U clamps. They are "necked down" in order to fit halfway over 2 different sized pipes. I got them from Summit Racing in OH. These won't look original, but will make it easier to re-position or disassemble the exhaust system later because there will be no crimps in the pipes. You will still need traditional U clamps to attach to the hangers.

I haven't tried these clamps yet, but my brother swears by them, and he has single handedly kept Don Simmons in business buying SS exh. systems.
                -Dwight

Comment

Ditto on recommending Don's 2" pipes for the Avanti. On several sets that I have installed, standard saddle clamps were used. However, on my Daytona HT I decided to use the band clamps from Summit, primarily for the ease of removal should the drivetrain need removal. I'm impressed. The joints are rock solid and free from seeping. However, with the Avanti, they may result in problems with cross-member or BELL-HOUSING contact. Positioning is critical to yield clamp or screw clearance and maintain tightening accessibility. It can be done, but be sure to torque the screws to the 90 ft.lb called for in the instructions. Good luck!
                  Last edited by WCP; 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM. Reason: typed transmission, meant bell-housing

Comment

I have used Don's pipes on different cars. They fit together really well, and fit the different cars properly. The tough part is always to get the old stuff off. Sawzalls work best at getting rid of most. Then you've just got those %%^& bolts that seized into the exhaust manifold.

Comment

Don's stainless systems have my vote too! I installed his pipes and mufflers on my GT Hawk 15 years ago without any problems and they still look great today.
                      Randy Ridenour
                      Frostburg,MD
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      sigpic

Comment

I am running Don's exhaust on my Hawk as well. The only complaint I have is that even his quite mufflers are a little louder than I wanted. The "loudness" of exhaust is of course personal preference and everyone has their own ideas about what sounds good. I am considering having a local exhaust shop add an H or X pipe to try and cut down the drone a little.
                        Wayne
                        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

Working...
                        X