No announcement yet.

Head Light Switch Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i installed halogen headlamps in my Avanti with no problems. if there is something rattling around in the circuit breaker, that's probably the problem. i'd go to NAPA, as stated in Post# 3 and get a newer one. also as others stated, check your dimmer switch and check/install headlamp relay(s).
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by az64stude View Post
      You may want to see how many amps your pushing. I would stay with OEM headlights but its always fun to try different things. What ever you do get that corrected its not fun when your headlights go out. You can swap the breaker with a larger one but make sure your circuit can handle that. Remember your high beam is going to draw the most amps, also do check all connectors for good contact including grounds. GOOD LUCK
      Originally posted by christophe View Post
      Don't forget that you already have in your car a very handy and useful amp meter. Thus, you can check how many ampères are drawned by your headlight. This is obvious but I have a tendancy to forget that myself.
      I came to that same realization today when I was out looking at the dimmer switch, which seems fine. With the high beams on it is drawing about 13 amps and about 9 with low beams. The breaker is a 20 amp breaker so it seems to me that the halogens should be fine. I'm really starting to suspect a faulty breaker, fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        i installed halogen headlamps in my Avanti with no problems. if there is something rattling around in the circuit breaker, that's probably the problem. i'd go to NAPA, as stated in Post# 3 and get a newer one. also as others stated, check your dimmer switch and check/install headlamp relay(s).
        Yes, I am very suspect of the breaker. The old switch and breaker were in the car for years with no problems running the halogens so unless there is a faulty relay or an intermittent short somewhere I'm pretty sure it was just the breaker. I'd hate to lose the halogens, much better lighting than incandescent head lights!

Comment

Originally posted by az64stude View Post
          I would stay with OEM headlights .
          If you can still find OEM type incandecsent sealed beams you're doing better than here in California. Here, incandscent sealed beams haven't been commonly available for 25 years, they're all halogen now. It's actually starting to get more difficult to even find any round sealed beam now. I'm sure when I have to replace one on my Stude I'll have to go to reflectors and replaceable bulbs (H4 type) like I've had to with my other cars.

Actually, Halogen bulbs are incandesecnt too, but you know what I mean.
          Last edited by bensherb; 08-22-2017, 05:31 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
            If you can still find OEM type incandecsent sealed beams you're doing better than here in California. Here, incandscent sealed beams haven't been commonly available for 25 years, they're all halogen now. It's actually starting to get more difficult to even find any round sealed beam now. I'm sure when I have to replace one on my Stude I'll have to go to reflectors and replaceable bulbs (H4 type) like I've had to with my other cars.
            I've been wondering about that very thing. I do see the GE halogen headlights that are on my GT available online and I would be wise to get a set before they are no longer available. As for incandescent sealed beams, also a thing of the past here to my knowledge. In fact incandescent bulbs for any use, home, auto etc.. have been all but banned! They call it progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
              As for incandescent sealed beams, also a thing of the past here to my knowledge. In fact incandescent bulbs for any use, home, auto etc.. have been all but banned! They call it progress!
              As far as I'm concerned, change for the sake of change is not progress... it's "make" work keeping sombody's brother in law employed. Then again, I'm a crotchety old bastard, so what do I know!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                As far as I'm concerned, change for the sake of change is not progress... it's "make" work keeping sombody's brother in law employed. Then again, I'm a crotchety old bastard, so what do I know!
                Well then I am a crotchety old bastard too! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X