Brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Brake question

Bought Turner disc kit for front of my GT Hawk,I've been told I have to have a duel reservoir
    master cylinder or it won't work.Is this true,Ted Turner didn't mention this when I talked to him at length.Not a problem to get & install just want to know if it's true.

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
    Bought Turner disc kit for front of my GT Hawk,I've been told I have to have a duel reservoir
    master cylinder or it won't work.Is this true
    NO. The dual cylinder does offer a measure of security/safety a single master cylinder does not though. There have been many factory disk brake systems in the past that came stock with single master cylinders. I have one car with 4 wheel disks, all originally front disks from a 1965 Mustang; the master cylinder is a single unit from a 1961 Corvair. It works great and has done so since 1986. By the way, the '65 mustang also had a single master cylinder from the factory.

If your single master cylinder has a residual valve in it; it will have to be removed or the disk brakes will not release.
    Last edited by bensherb; 08-20-2017, 08:21 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

I installed a Turner kit on my '62 GT and after thinking about the safety value of having a split system, decided to install a Turner-supplied dual M/C. The only installation quirk was that I had to install the M/C and mount bracket together as a loose assembly as there's insufficient room to install the M/C once the bracket is installed by itself first.

Comment

Working...
      X