V8 removal from '63 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: V8 removal from '63 Lark

I would like to remove the 289 engine and bell housing as one unit from a '63 Cruiser.

I have done this many times in '64 and later Lark types by removing the upper air deflector, grille, and radiator saddle. No problem.

But the '63 is built different. Has anyone out there done this without removing the doghouse or entire front sheet metal panel?

Thx,
    Larry

Yes you can, if you remove the Engine support Crossmember so you can tilt the Engine/Trans. Combo enough to hoist it out with only the Radiator and Fan removed.

Cover the Grille Panel with a Towel just in case, and have someone guide the Oil Pan over it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I just pulled a 259 from a 63 Lark, however I had removed the entire front assemblies. But I do believe with the radiator removed along with the frame it should clear most everything. The rear cross member can be in bolted for additional clearance. I did this and place a rolling small floor jack under the tail end of the transmission and attached the pull chain well front of center to attain a steep angle when pulling. Oil will spill out the rear of the transmission, if a plastic bag is attached over the end will save an unwanted mess. Do some previous calculations so that your hosting equipment will clear.

It may help if you raise the car on about 4 layers of 2/8s tapered back and as you are lifting, the car chassis can be rolled back for additional clearance if needed.

Comment

Perhaps there was some misunderstanding with the above 2 posts. The transmission has already been removed. So that makes me wonder if I really need to remove the crossmember ?

Comment

Sorry, I missed that, sure it will come right out of there no problem without all of that added length. If necessary, you can unbolt the Rear Engine Mounts from the Converter Housing to get them out of the way.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Be sure to remove the distributor before pulling the engine. It may not hit anything on the way out, but if it does, it could hurt something really bad.
            sals54

Comment

You can absolutely do this. It just takes time, patience and a couple of friends

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0765.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1715996Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0767.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1715997Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0771.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1715998Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0775.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1715999

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Now, remember... when installing the engine into the car, be sure to clear all the misc stuff off the inner fenders. That way the extra large 392 Hemi valve covers will have room to fit.
                Unless, of course, you're planning to put the Stude engine back in it. Then you're fine.
                sals54

Comment

in the pics above , with the entire engine/tranny together.... its a bit easy to raise the rear wheel/axle a bit to get the proper install angle...

Comment

Working...
                  X