Ford Type "F"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Ford Type "F"

I already know that I need to use Ford Type "F" transmission fluid for the power steering fluid in my '63 Avanti. The question is, is there any advantage in going with the Ford synthetic transmission fluid in replacing the power steering fluid, or should I just leave well enough alone & stick with the original Type "F"?

• BTW this is the first time I've ever used an emoji. Still haven't worked out how to post pictures & not sure if I ever will given the hassles many have recently experienced.

"Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
    R.W. Emerson

I have not ran ATF in a Stude power steering system since around 1997, neither in Bendix nor Saginaw system. Modern PS fluid formulated specifically for the task, and works better than ATF ever did. But do not ever use anything with a leak preventive additive.

Comment

And, for ANOTHER opinion; I have NEVER run Power Steering Fluid in my Bendix P/S equipped Studes. and they have worked perfectly FINE with Ford Type "F" Transmission Fluid as designed, for '56 years.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That is because power steering fluid wasn't invented when the system was designed. Imagine if you will...... that time didn't stop in 1958. I know, it's a stretch.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Sometimes, especially for us incurable "tinkerers" ...the old saying..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a tough rule to follow.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

"If it ain't broke...fix it 'till it is." That keeps many professional auto shops in business.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Modern PS fluid or Ford type A, just be thankful you don't need Pentosin that Audi used. $20+ a quart, ran at high pressure (causing frequent leaks, $200 hose replacements) and as the leaking fluid dried out it took on the consistency of tree sap. That was "Broke, and needed fixing."
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I've been using Dexron 3 and now Dexron 6 atf in in my Studebaker power steering systems for more years than I care to remember without any problems. I also don't see any reason to not use a good quality power steering fluid either if that is what is easily obtainable. Bud

Comment

Dave Thibault instructed me to NOT use power steering fluid. I didn't ask why.
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                    Dave Thibault instructed me to NOT use power steering fluid. I didn't ask why.
                    Well that only convinces me Dave is not a wizard, and does not know everything. I woulda definitely asked him why, since I know for a fact there is no reason. In the past 20 years, it has never caused a problem, but it does provide benefits: steering is smoother; less foaming, and will leak less, overall, though there is no additive in any of the stuff I use. STP brand is my favorite, but lately I have went to Prestone recently, since the STP brand is getting nearly impossible to find around here. Lubrication technology has came a long way since our cars were built. I have also ran Mobil 1 oil (15W50) since arfound 1997, instead of the old crap that was originally recommended, along with Red Line synthetic gear oil in the OD transmission, etc.. Technology is a good thing, but that's JMHO.

Resistance to change is just something many of us struggle with as we grow older, and that's OK. But anyone who actually advises against PS fluid in our cars does not know what they are talking about. (Though, if he was talking about PS fluid with leak additive, I agree.) Can't knock it it you haven't tried it.
                    Last edited by JoeHall; 08-19-2017, 07:06 AM.

Comment

The lubricants that were available in the 50's and 60's worked, but as time marches on, so does technology. The lubricants available today are far superior to the lubes originally specified by the auto manufacturers 50 or 60 years ago. I'm with Joe Hall on this one, the use of a more modern lubricant in place of what was originally specified by Studebaker in my opinion makes perfect sense in terms of parts longevity and reliability. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        Well that only convinces me Dave is not a wizard, and does not know everything. I woulda definitely asked him why, since I know for a fact there is no reason. In the past 20 years, it has never caused a problem, but it does provide benefits: steering is smoother; less foaming, and will leak less, overall, though there is no additive in any of the stuff I use. STP brand is my favorite, but lately I have went to Prestone recently, since the STP brand is getting nearly impossible to find around here. Lubrication technology has came a long way since our cars were built. I have also ran Mobil 1 oil (15W50) since arfound 1997, instead of the old crap that was originally recommended, along with Red Line synthetic gear oil in the OD transmission, etc.. Technology is a good thing, but that's JMHO.

Resistance to change is just something many of us struggle with as we grow older, and that's OK. But anyone who actually advises against PS fluid in our cars does not know what they are talking about. (Though, if he was talking about PS fluid with leak additive, I agree.) Can't knock it it you haven't tried it.
                        Joe........Amazon has both STP and Prestone Power Steering Fluid.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                          Joe........Amazon has both STP and Prestone Power Steering Fluid.
                          John
                          Hi John,
                          This is the exact same stuff I have used for years, but looks like the price has gone through the roof. LOL https://www.amazon.com/armored-auto-...steering+fluid

Comment

Working...
                          X