Golden Hawk air cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Golden Hawk air cleaner

When I got my barn find (from the finder) 57 GH, the supercharger was literally a basket case in the trunk along with the air cleaner...obviously the car had been driven for a while w/o either.

I have a new(rebuilt) supercharger and as I'm installing the air cleaner it doesn't look like it will fit under the hood. The bottom support is obviously wrong, looks like the battery tray support, but I think I can deal with that, but how about the side support or mounting bracket...is this the right one? Do I have it mounted correctly? And is that the right air cleaner?

One more question...I do have the line from the fuel pump to the SC...do I connect that with a piece of rubber tubing?
    Attached Files
    Gallivan
    57 Golden Hawk
    Golden, CO

I believe the FP FUEL LINE to supercharger on the 57 GH was all steel. From the Fuel Pump, it threaded into the outside of the airbox and from the inner side to the carb was also solid steel, no rubber at all.

The smaller pressure reference tube went from a threaded fitting at the Fuel Pump upper housing to the supercharger nipple on the volute and had a rubber connector between the two at that point..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I'm pretty sure the bracket went further forward, and the screws in the air filter were in front of the hose outlet. Maybe you have a 57 Packard setup. Perhaps you can check pictures with the corresponding parts manual?
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

There is another bracket that comes off one of the head bolts. Just can't remember which one.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by Gallivan View Post
          When I got my barn find (from the finder) 57 GH, the supercharger was literally a basket case in the trunk along with the air cleaner...obviously the car had been driven for a while w/o either.

I have a new(rebuilt) supercharger and as I'm installing the air cleaner it doesn't look like it will fit under the hood. The bottom support is obviously wrong, looks like the battery tray support, but I think I can deal with that, but how about the side support or mounting bracket...is this the right one? Do I have it mounted correctly? And is that the right air cleaner?

One more question...I do have the line from the fuel pump to the SC...do I connect that with a piece of rubber tubing?
          Gallivan, The end that is sticking up in the air, in your first photo gets bolted to the side of the air cleaner housing. There should be 2 holes in the side of the housing. The housing rests almost against the right inner fender, and is connected to the supercharger with a flexible hose and clamps. The filter element itself, fits to the bottom of your housing in photo #2 and is held in place with a flat type lid and a wing nut. Hope this helps.
          Dave
          Last edited by 58L-J8 Guy; 08-17-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Looks like you are on the right track.The flat type bracket mounts to the cylinder head and helps hold the lid on the underside.
            Dave
            Last edited by 58L-J8 Guy; 08-17-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

https://myclassicgarage.com/marketpl.../media/1145921

Comment

No one commented on the dished plate that fits on the bottom of the Golden Hawk air cleaner assembly. It can be reversed to accommodate a second air filter element with no modifications to the length of the central mounting stud.
                There has been a problem acquiring correct air filter elements for about the last 20 years. Thickness, as opposed to height, has been changed by the filter manufacturers. As a result, modern filters don't fit over the cone built into the Golden Hawk air filter housing. The inside diameter is too small.

Mike M
                Last edited by Mike; 08-18-2017, 11:33 PM.

Comment

A K&E E-1010 air filter will fit correctly under the air cleaner housing. It is 9" in diameter. Although I have seen several sources that say a Wix 42093 will fit, the diameter is 9 5/8", which is too large. Although the K&N is expensive, it can be cleaned so it never has to be replaced. The original Fram CA152Pl is no longer available.
                  I was amazed to see that the build sheet on my 57 Golden Hawk specified a wet air cleaner. I'm not sure why but that just didn't seem right to me so I am using the dry one.
                  Last edited by JoeW; 08-18-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the help- I did find the correct bottom support to hold the filter element and dished bottom piece>
                    The Parts Manual just goes thru 1956, it shows a totally different main bracket-it looks like it must mount to the firewall.
                    I've looked at dozens of pix, and the one I could actually see, looks like it is slightly different from mine- mine looks like it leans forward towards the front of the car- not much room on mine to drill new holes- I may try to just use one screw on the side for now
                    Gallivan
                    57 Golden Hawk
                    Golden, CO

Comment

For a filter I used spare one I had for my Olds cut and made smaller diameter material is flexible easy to conform to the bottom plate diameter. Any filter that would be right height and larger diameter could be made to fit. Lower mounting bracket mounts on same head bolt as oil dipstick on my Clipper
                      Attached Files

Comment

Acolds- thanks for the pix- your upper bracket looks the same as mine- I wonder if there is a different one for the Golden Hawk?
                        Gallivan
                        57 Golden Hawk
                        Golden, CO

Comment

Originally posted by Gallivan View Post
                          Acolds- thanks for the pix- your upper bracket looks the same as mine- I wonder if there is a different one for the Golden Hawk?
                          Super Hero: 1955 to 1958 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog to the Rescue AGAIN!

The 57L Packard Super 289 gets 1543699 Upper Air Cleaner Support Bracket which looks like a match to me for acold's Bracket and your's Gallivan!

For the '57H, '58H Super Charged G/H & '58L Packard Hawk, you need 1542803 the shape and location of the heater Fan and inner Fender on the 2 Body Styles not to mention Fender HEIGHT does not allow them to be the same.

The Lower Bracket is also different, G/H's use the early part numbered bracket from 1955 and earlier: 533570 which I would bet dates back to the Wet Air Cleaner Bracket on '53 to '55 C & K's.

Without a 1956 and Later 7 Digit "15" part number, there is no way it was originally designed for '56 and later. So there are more sources for these.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-19-2017, 04:55 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich- yes you're right- that Packard bracket sets the air cleaner too high and too far forward for the Hawk hood clearance.
                            you don't happen to have part #1542803 for sale do you?
                            Gallivan
                            57 Golden Hawk
                            Golden, CO

Comment

Working...
                            X