54 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 54 Commander

Working on the project here. I have come to realize that the pass. replacement fender from Classic Enterprises has no access hole for the Climatizer. Does anyone have a template where I need to cut the hole in for the duct supplying air from the vent shroud to the Climatizer blower?
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Needing template for position of hole for Climatizer in pass. fender. TY
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Bryan, I don't believe you need a hole in the fender. I think there is a short duct from the fender vent assembly to the blower inlet (all under the fender) and then the very long duct from the blower to the underseat heater. If it will help you, I'll take some pictures of my '53 Commander later today and send it to you.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

That would help a lot ! My heater blower unit and duct is lost from the body shop. I don't know the C/Ks well enough. I looked at my 52 Champion and thought maybe the 54 was like it. I have to find everything I'm missing. Also while I have your attention is there not a inner fender shield for the pass. frt fender? Everything looks so exposed to me. It might be lost too. I have 4 shop/body/chassis manuals and they don't show me.

Comment

You do need a hole in the fender for the intake for the blower.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06835.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1715934Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04445.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1715935

Comment

All the C/K bodies have the vent doors in the fenders. There is a 2 pc clamshell duct that goes between the fender and the inside kickpanel area on the body.

These threads may be helpful.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...K-fender-vents

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=duct+spring

The blower attaches to the inner fender aka apron via its bracket and a very short hose connects the inlet to the clamshell duct on the passender side. outlet hose goes down under the floor to the heater box.

So, no holes in the outer fender other than the vent door opening.

Yes its all out in the open under there and why I fabricated a fender liner like newer cars have to keep dirt & water spray from the tire out. Also helps with noise.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Bryan, did the pictures from Altair in post #5 help enough? If not, I'll take some. Please provide your email (via PM if you want).
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Coupes and Hardtops (C/K) do get mentioned frequently in discussions here, as certain components apply to those models. Equally many of the same components apply to sedan models (W) however are almost never mentioned only (C/K) why is that?

Comment

Well not really. I am still wondering where the inlet hose from the fender vent to the blower motor goes. My 52 Champion has a hole with a flange in the fender that the inlet hose runs thru. No mention of the 54's configuration in my manuals. So does the hose drop under the fender cutout alongside the tube that runs from the blower to the heater core box? Pictures at anytime would be helpful.

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                  Bryan, did the pictures from Altair in post #5 help enough? If not, I'll take some. Please provide your email (via PM if you want).
                  - - - Updated - - -

Well not really. I am still wondering where the inlet hose from the fender vent to the blower motor goes. My 52 Champion has a hole with a flange in the fender that the inlet hose runs thru. No mention of the 54's configuration in my manuals. So does the hose drop under the fender cutout alongside the tube that runs from the blower to the heater core box? Pictures at anytime would be helpful.

Originally posted by brngarage View Post

Comment

Bryan, I think one of your problems is you are looking in the wrong Book.
                    The Chassis Parts Catalog and Body Parts Catalog are WAY better to see the assembly order of parts.

In this case the Climitizer Parts are shown in the Accessory Section of the Body Parts Catalog.

Also, Post #5 Pic. does show the short Hose from the Fan Motor to the Fender Duct.
                    The Long Hose to the under Seat Heater goes through a Hole in the INNER FENDER, do you even HAVE an Inner Fender?
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This is from the 59 parts catalog. I hope it might help a little.
                      sigpic

Comment

Blower intake air comes off the front half of the two piece sleeve that joins the vent door outer to inner door in pass kick panel. Luck Doofus

Comment

The last picture does not show the heater blower motor mounting bracket. What the OP may not realize is the whole motor and blower, mounts under the inner fender out in the open behind the wheel, directly above the clam shell housing for the fender vent.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Ok guys, I have the Chassis and the Parts catalog both and have the picture. It doesn't show the placement on or under the fender. If it is under the fender above the clamshell what keeps it from rain and snow spray off the front tire? My 52 has a flange and opening on the inner fender. My 54 has no hole. This unit then mounts behind the front wheel ? The large tube AC1-12 then snakes thru the cutout of the inner fender above the A-frame ? Is there NO protection like a inner fender liner that covers the clamshell and blower motor ?

Comment

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
                              Ok guys, I have the Chassis and the Parts catalog both and have the picture. It doesn't show the placement on or under the fender. If it is under the fender above the clamshell what keeps it from rain and snow spray off the front tire? My 52 has a flange and opening on the inner fender. My 54 has no hole. This unit then mounts behind the front wheel ? The large tube AC1-12 then snakes thru the cutout of the inner fender above the A-frame ? Is there NO protection like a inner fender liner that covers the clamshell and blower motor ?
                              Yes, it is one of the worst designs they could have come up with, but there it is.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X