No announcement yet.

Ignition coil differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out 0f curiosity, I took a look at the coils from Rock Auto. The only one that listed the resistance was the premium one from Airtex. It shows resistance of 1.2 to 1.9.

Comment

The variance between 1.2 and 1.9 ohms is substantial as it could have a major effect on the current draw through the points if the replacement coil primary resistance is 1.2 ohms and the original specified resistance is closer to 1.7 or 1.8 ohms. I've had problems with Airtex electrical components failing short order in the past and as a result, I will not use their parts. My advice is to stick with Standard Motor Parts Blue Streak or Napa Echlin electrical parts as I am not having to replace their parts due to early failure. Bud

Comment

Been using a GM HEI modal on a Slant 6 Mopar electronic distributer. Using an early GM HEI inline 6 coil. Eliminates all the resistors and large stuff for a cleaner appearance. Have been using it since 2001 without a problem. Used a VW bug 12volt coil on another engine which I sold,Bosch coil.

Comment

kxet; you used a WV 4-cyl boxer coil on a V8?
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Yes I did.Coils don't seem to mind. But that was a Mopar electronic distributer with a GM HEI modual.

Comment

Ok kxet, cool! This is what I kinda suspected; I've used different coils I've had laying around & it always worked but looking at speedshops selling coils it's quite a load of them so I thought it would be interesting to know the differences...
              Anyway, I'm gonna be picky this time!
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Just "had to" ad this:
                I thought I google "Nox's Studebaker" & there was a lot of pix of others stuff, even Studebakers that's not mine, but also some pix of Josephine!
                So here's the -77 318 that's out of her now to be replaced:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Josephine's 1st MoPar V8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1716013

This was taken some years ago & it's all on the Racing site.
                sigpic

Josephine
                Champion V8
                4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                X