Carburetor info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Carburetor info needed

Does anyone know the numbers that would be on the carburetor tag for the 1963 & 64 Carter RBS carburetor? this carb was used on the 170 cu in six. marlinfish01@hotmail.com

It does not matter, the RBS Carter Carbs. used by Studebaker on '63 & '64 Lark Types are all the same Sub Model Number anyway.

If you want to hear the Consensus of opinion here on the Forum where members have been there, done that: ... "find a '61-'62 Carter Model "AS" 1 Brl. Carb. and replace that cheap piece of junk RBS and don't look back!"

If you MUST keep it, I have fresh New stock, RBS repair Kits in stock here that fit both '63 & '64's.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hey, Thanks. I have a 1962 Carter AS and have used it in the past. Don't know why they went to the RBS, cost I suppose. Like to keep my 63 all 63, but think I will get a kit for AS carb and rebuild it instead. Marlinfish / Boatbum

Comment

You can PM or email me anytime for ANY Studebaker Part that is still available, and some that are not.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I might be the only one here but I think my RBS performs now satisfactorily. I spent a lot of time to study it and made all the adjustments in the correct order but I found this very interesting. Whatever you do, study the shop manual first. I can send you some documentation if needed. Please, don't throw your RBS away, or give it to me (joking, of course!).
          sigpic

Comment

Hi Christophe, Thanks for reply. I have used the RBS for decades on my 1963 Lark and also the 1960 to 1962 Carter AS. The RBS can be difficult, but they work. I did not know there was a shop manual for RBS. If you have info please send to marlin.hansen@yahoo.com . What cars do you have?

Comment

Hi Harold, my car is a 63GT with an OHV6. It's an export model assembled and delivered in Belgium by D'Ieteren. I bought it in 2009 but, after only 25 miles, it became obvious the engine needed a rebuilt. The car ran again in 2012 and I'm enjoying it since. I also have a 1951 Simca 9 Aronde, a 1959 Citro├źn DS 19, a 1962 Simca 1000, a 1965 Simca 1500, two Renault 4 (78 & 79), a 1981 Mercedes 230E and some others but no cars later than 1991.
              About the RBS, I'll send you what I have about it. The Studebaker shop manual is fairly comprehensive and, when you get a rebuild kit, the instruction sheet contains adjusting data too. Moreover, as this carb was used by other companies (I discovered, it was even used on some Renault 6!), they also issued data about it.
              Here are a few more specific points:
              By carefully studying the different circuits (float, low speed, high speed, pump, idle, choke), you will be able to test them separately, and diagnose the cause of your problems, if any. By using a simple rubber rubber tube and aspiring with your mouth, you can simply test all the circuits and the functioning of the step-up rod.
              The end of the pump circuit, which squirts gasoline directly in the bore is very tiny and can be easily clogged.
              The choke housing is affixed by three aluminium tabs that can become loose, thus causing malfunctioning. You should check that this housing is hold tightly onto the main casing. In my case I had to drill one of the tabs and put a nut and bolt through it.
              The heater tube that goes through the exhaust manifold can get rusted and let exhaust gases into the choke housing. Of course, this is not good.
              The PCV valve should act freely.
              I hope this helps. I will send you the documents right away.
              Nice day to all.
              Last edited by christophe; 08-16-2017, 12:23 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

[IMG]pictures[/IMG]Hey, Neat cars! I heard that some GT's were made with six engines. I converted my choke to manual control in 1966 due to Minnesota below zero winters. I'm copying your post to my Lark file. BTW, I shipped my car by Cunard line to Europe in June of 1967 & lived in it for five months and 23 countries. Have photos beside the Coliseum in Rome and all over Europe. Photo is of country emblems collected on trip. Opps, cant get image to work . Marlinfish

Comment

Hey, does anyone know how to attach a photo to post, I click on "attach image" and it does nothing

Comment

This must have been an awesome trip and it would be nice to see some pictures of it.
                    Click on the button Go Advanced then on Manage Attachments. You can then select a file from your computer (limited size) or from a website.
                    If you photo is already on Internet, it is simpler to copy-paste its link. Then you add [img] at the beginning of the link and [/img] at the end.
                    Nice day to all.
                    sigpic

Comment

Lark in Europe

Photos of 1963 Lark in Europe summer of 1967. Left in June and returned in November. First photo is unloading Lark in England, Second is car beside cannel in Holland.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Boatbum2 View Post
                        Photos of 1963 Lark in Europe summer of 1967. Left in June and returned in November. First photo is unloading Lark in England, Second is car beside cannel in Holland.
                        These are very nice. Especially the one in Holland. What a marvelous trip. Your car was already unique by its mileage and the fact that you kept it for 52 years, but bringing it to Europe and back is really the icing on the cake. I think this deserves an article in TW, if that has not been already done.
                        Nice week-end to all. I'll be back on monday.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Christophe, I have never written of my trip to Europe in 1967 for TW. I need to as it was fantastic and I'm not a kid anymore. Just got back from a road trip in the Lark. Had more fun then should be legal for a guy my age. See my Road Trip thread in the General section. I have admired the Citroen D 19 since I saw them on my Europe trip.

Comment

Working...
                          X