No announcement yet.

Avanti frame rust, where to check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Avanti frame rust, where to check?

Besides the hog troughs and the rear crossmember, is there any place on the frame of an Avanti I need to check carefully?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

everywhere!!!

most of the rust on my '63 frame (surface rust only) was near the rear where you stated. plus the areas between the front of the doors and wheel wells.

don't forget to give any areas showing surface rust a good push with your fingers. any "give" in the steel should be treated as rust holes (cancer).
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be working with photos, and hope they accurately reflect the condition.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
        Thanks, I'll be working with photos, and hope they accurately reflect the condition.
        Photos are better than nothing, but not really an indication of the severity of rust. They all have surface rust, but some have surface rust all the way through ;>)

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

A hidden problem is the windshield frame and 'A' piller area. If you see any issues with the vinyl trim around the windshield, you may ecperience this problem. It can be repaired depending on how bad.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
            A hidden problem is the windshield frame and 'A' piller area. If you see any issues with the vinyl trim around the windshield, you may ecperience this problem. It can be repaired depending on how bad.
            Excellent point and for some reason the bottom of the frame over the rear axle is also a common spot. If the rust is only in the bottom plate welded to the top hat, then the repairs are pretty straight forward. If sections of the top hat are bad, it gets a bit more dicey.

Comment

Since the OP said FRAME rust..
              Look closely at the bottom of the frame at the front rear spring mount back. Especially on the bottom.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

People unfamiliar with Avantis focus on the frame and hog troughs when looking for rust. Just wanted to make sure the OP was aware of other areas where serious rust can occur. The windshield frame and pillar is one such. I have 2 parts Avantis where the frames are in good condition, but the only thing holding up the roof is the windshield. Last year I finished a California car with perfect frame, rear crossmember, and hogs that had some rust through on the windshield frame. Fortunately, I was able to make repairs by fabricating the missing pieces and welding them in. I believe that George at Olympus still has some of the windshield frames left.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Working...
                X