Betty did a belly flop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betty did a belly flop

Well today while taking Betty for a ride, she decided to do a belly flop coming up the driveway to my house. The lugnuts were not on tight and worked themselves loose and the front right wheel flew out to the side and the car flopped on teh ground. Luckily I was only going 10 when it happened. After getting out of the car expecting the worst, the only damage appears to be that there are no threads on all but two studs. Aside from replacing the studs, is there anything else I should be looking over? Thanks.

The lug nut holes in the wheel are probably bad too.

Gordon

Comment

Typical Studebaker ... heavy on theatrics![)]

I agree with checking the wheel, it also much have landed on the drum
      drum and backing plate. Its possible the drum is bent or cracked, or
      the backing plate is bent. The drum might have flexed and dove into
      the backing plate causing it to bend. The drum might go back to its
      original round (if bent) by getting it REALLY hot by dragging the brakes
      and them allowing it to slowly cool overnight.

You can tell if the drum is bent by a pulsating pedal after you get all
      the lug bolts replaced. Are these left hand thread studs?

Tom

quote:Originally posted by 63larkcustom
      the front right wheel flew out to the side and the car flopped on teh ground.
      '63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 63larkcustom
        the front right wheel flew out to the side and the car flopped on the ground.
        quote:Originally posted by sbca96
        You can tell if the drum is bent by a pulsating pedal after you get all
        the lug bolts replaced. [u]Are these left hand thread studs?</u>
        Tom
        I hope not since it was the right front wheel...

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>
        [img]
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Most likely at that speed you didn't hurt anything, but you will want to check. I lost a custom wheel off of my 62 GT Hawk years ago at about 15 mph on a gravel road and did no damage except to my nerves.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Had the same thing happen with a Rambler many years ago. Only thing damaged was the threads on the studs.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Lost one on the Interstate about 35 years ago in my 65 Cruiser. Thought the thump,thump,thump was a separated belt in the tire and just kept driving home at about 45 mph until the driver's front side dropped suddenly. Had worn threads on the studs and enlarged holes on the wheel. The wheel came off over the lug nuts and all five nits were still there after the car dropped and jammed the wheel up into the fender. Replaced the drum with one from a junkyard and got a replacement wheel but no other damage, other filling my shorts when it happend to a 20 year old recent college graduate.

'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
              '64 Daytona HT
              \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
              \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

got a good look under her and all is ok except the studs.. thank goodness. Will have new ones pressed in shortly.

Comment

Working...
                X