53 Champion Hardtop K-BODY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 53 Champion Hardtop K-BODY

I miss the 4 metal plates which stabilize the lateral windows regulators (front and rear). These plates are inside the front doors and inside the rear windows compartment, not outside. The plates outside are not the same and I have them. Those I miss are plates of flat metal whith a half sphere in the middle on the edges of the 4 plates there are holes for the screws to fix them. There is also a hole in each half shere of each plate. The 2 front plates and the 2 rear plates are of different shapes. I would be grateful if anybody knows and telle me the name or part number of the plates, as I could not find them in the shop manual. If someone understand my question (I am sorry but unfortunately I am not a US citizen so my practice of english language is aproximate), and knows where I could order these 4 plates ,that would be great.
    I had these 4 plates but my garage mechanic threw them away by mistake. Many thanks for you help.

If you have the body parts books, there should be drawings of what you are looking for and listings of the part numbers to look them up. Books available from most Studebaker parts vendors. I also have a 53 Champion K and do not know what items you are looking for from the description although it seems like window regulators. Do these have shafts and gears?

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have the 53-54 shop manual and these parts are not in it: only the windows regulators appear but they are not the parts I am looking for. The 4 parts I need must be fixed on the 4 windows regulators in order to maintain stable the windows. If these plates / parts are not fixed on the windows regulator, the windows swing (get loose). These plates do not exist in the C Body windows equipment but only on the K Body windows equipment. Does these details help understand what are these items ?

Comment

- - - Updated - - -
        I will attempt to show a page from the body parts manual which shows all those parts. The number on the page is NOT the part number. It leads to a section of the manual where you can look up the part number. It is very helpful tho have all 3 manuals, shop, body parts and chassis parts. If you see the part, let us know the number and someone will look up the part number. I don't know how to make the image any larger, sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1715874
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

See if this is a better picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	64bodmp152.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1715876
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thank you for your precious help for this topic. For the little story of the adventure, I dismanstled entirely the car including the 4 windows equipments, so I remember very well these 4 plates. But this is my garage mechanic who reassembled the whole car and unfortunately he threw away these plates by mistake.
            As I have dismantled the 4 full windows equipments of my 1953 Champion Hardtop K- body, I am sure that the 4 parts/plates I miss are not showed on the drawing you generously supplied me with. And as I looked carefully to all the parts of this drawing, I have noticed that the crank handle is not the one of the Hardtop K-Body. In fact, on the 1953 champion hardtop K body , the crank handle knob has a heart shape while on this picture it's an ordinary shape not a heart. It makes me think that this drawing/picture may be for a Sedan ?

Comment

The picture in post #4 covers all K-bodies from 1953 - 58 and shows two different window crank handles (2320-81). One was used on 53-55 models and the other was used on 56-58 models. In 1953, the same crank handle design was used on both C and K bodies. Perhaps some time in the past someone replaced the crank handle knobs? The basic design of the crank handles was used on many other cars and was probably available at auto parts stores at the time.

The drawing in post #5 actually shows the 1962-64 K-body window designs, though nearly all the parts are same. Is the piece you are looking for marked with number 2320-45 in the first picture and 2120-52-1 in the second? That part is unique to the K bodies and stabilizes the window channel.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

'53 and '54 have that "heart shaped" knob on the crank handles. Also a square shaft on the window regulator. They are held on with a screw. '55 I think went to a spline shaft with round knob but still held on with a screw. '56 and later look like this drawing above and held on with a clip on the back.

That drawing is just to show all the parts in the door but the actual appearance may vary some like those crank handles.

The crank handles for '53 are common to sedans and C/K bodies. I got a few perfect chrome ones w/o worn out floppy knobs out of the back of a '53 sedan for my own car.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Thanks for correcting me Jeff. Was going by the parts book illustrations. Should stick to vehicles I can go out and look at in person.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Thank you for you replies but having watched carefully the drawings received, I could not find the 4 plates I am looking for. The size is approximately of 6"x 4" and of rectangular shape for the front one.
                    The rear plate is smaller and of a different shape. But all 4 plates have each a half sphere embossed in their middle and the half sphere has a hole through it. Each edge of the plates have holes for screws or bolts.
                    The parts showed on the drawings you kindly supplied me with, are not the plates in question. Any suggestion, please?
                    I'm not sure that I can find the right schema. I've watched many schema, drawings, on internet and could not find those plates yet... Thanks for your help.

Comment

Bonjour Claude et bienvenue sur le forum,
                      Si tu n'as que le manuel d'atelier, je te suggère de te procurer les catalogues de pièces mécanique et carrosserie (chassis & body). Tu y trouveras peut-être ton bonheur:
                      http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50001003a
                      Bon courage et bonne chance pour tes recherches.
                      Si tu veux me contacter: 0631023164 ou henry54.c@wanadoo.fr
                      Last edited by christophe; 08-14-2017, 07:27 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Christophe
                        Thanks for your post.
                        I was hoping for a response from you since you are in France.
                        It seems that our forum responses do not address Melokos's question.
                        He states that the drawings do not show the part he is looking for and I do not
                        understand from his description which parts he needs.
                        I understand his frustration with language differences.
                        May I suggest a PM to him with your phone number.
                        From your post I gather that you master English very well.
                        Your description of the parts he needs maybe more easily understood.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Rereading Meloko's post , I can only imagine that his car was assembled by D'ieteren in Belgium and possibly they used locally manufactured window regulators.The plates he describes seem to be part of the window regulators that are riveted on American made regulators.
                          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Perhaps someone took the pivot off the regulator, and what is being needed is the actual part of the regulator assembly that bolts to the door. The part that has the handle shaft. ???
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              Christophe
                              Thanks for your post.
                              I was hoping for a response from you since you are in France.
                              It seems that our forum responses do not address Melokos's question.
                              He states that the drawings do not show the part he is looking for and I do not
                              understand from his description which parts he needs.
                              I understand his frustration with language differences.
                              May I suggest a PM to him with your phone number.
                              From your post I gather that you master English very well.
                              Your description of the parts he needs maybe more easily understood.

Robert Kapteyn
                              Thanks for your kind reply, Robert.
                              Yes, I'll try to contact Claude directly. But, as I've not been personally nor intimately (and I regret it!) introduced to a 53 K body, I'm not aware of the parts he is looking for. In case he only had the shop manual, I suggested him to get the whole documentation for the car. Maybe, these parts were specific to 53 K models or, as you suggested, were part of some enhancements made by D'Ieteren's.
                              Nice day to all.
                              Last edited by christophe; 08-14-2017, 07:33 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X