Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In car camera mount for an Avanti? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In car camera mount for an Avanti? Anyone?

I am going to make an in car camera mount for the '63, but I thought
    maybe someone else might have done the homework. I figure I can make
    a support that goes from the seat belt/rear front seat bolts up to the
    factory roll bar to attach a camera mount. I would like it to capture
    the shifting, and the dash, along with out the windshield. I am not
    sure if I will put in a full roll cage someday, but this should be OK for
    the meantime. Anyone have any other ideas?

To mount one of these :

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

So I went out to the garage and moved the camera around until I could
    see both the shifter and the dash, and also out the windshield. From
    what I can see, it looks like the cam needs to be mounted right above
    the lazy "S" in the middle of the rear seat. Basically ontop of the
    rear deck. This is not a spot I am willing to drill any holes, but I
    could make an aluminum bracket that mounts to the rear seat bulkhead,
    and back to the rear package tray. I need to redo mine anyway.

BTW .. is there a source for fiberglass pieces to replace the wood I
    have currently for the rear package tray?

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:BTW .. is there a source for fiberglass pieces to replace the wood I
      have currently for the rear package tray?
      The tray is supposed to be wood.

Jim Bradley
      Lewistown PA
      '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
      Jim Bradley
      Lake Monticello, VA
      '78 Avanti II
      sigpic

Comment

Why not make a new package tray and drill camera mounting bracket holes in it, leaving your original unit unholed for shows?

Heck, for even more support you could rig a tripod type mount that would sit on your trunk floor (or a box on the trunk floor to give you the necessary heigth) and stick up through the parcel shelf hole.
        If a sandbag doesn't hold it in place (that is what we used to do in TV to keep light tripods steady in the wind) you could even get fancy and make adjustable side supports that would fit against the sides of the trunk.

63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The package tray opening is a little too far back, right behind the
          Lazy S seems to be perfect, all cameras are different in how far back
          you have to be to see something when zoomed out. It was offered to
          me that there is a suction cup mount that I could use on the underside
          of the rear window, though that might be a little high. I will get
          more info on this item. Sounds promising.

The one on the left is the suction cup, the one on the right is a roll
          bar mount for a camera.

Tom

Comment

Another idea is to NOT mount the camera...just a remote Sony bullet cam as an input to your camera. The camera itself can be strapped down most anywhere handy.

Here's that setup in my son's spec Miata....

http://thenobot.org/video/watch.php?...ll_team_s5.mov

The bullet cam is mounted on the roll cage. Super simple to mount since it is tiny and weighs just a few ounces.

http://hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=309

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

darn Dick, thats expensive! We only paid 80 bucks more for the Mini
              DV camera, and its got sound too! The suction cup mount is less than
              50 bucks, and can be placed anywhere - even outside the car!

Here is it adjusted to attach to the underside of the rear window. It
              looks like this is the easiest way, and I can use it in any car. The
              downside is the place the guy on the Mustang forum got his from is out
              of stock right now. sheeeeesh.

Tom

Comment

You should be able to mount it to the roll bar directly. I have the cover off of mine and there are some holes in the assembly that you can place a bolt through, with your finger holding a nut on the other side of the roll bar. Mine actually had two eye bolts mounted there for shoulder straps to anchor to.

========================
                63 Avanti R2, 4-Speed, 3.73 TT
                Martinez, CA

Comment

Here you go: http://www.goprocamera.com/

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
                  Packrat junk collector
                  '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

What's wrong with duct tape?[}]
                    Inquiring minds want to know!
                    Jeff[8D]
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Duct tape?[:0] There is no high tech in duct tape.

Comment

It's only money, means nothing when you are dead.......enjoy life today...tomorrow is promised to nobody.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

darn Dick, thats expensive! We only paid 80 bucks more for the Mini
                        DV camera, and its got sound too! The suction cup mount is less than
                        50 bucks, and can be placed anywhere - even outside the car!

Here is it adjusted to attach to the underside of the rear window. It
                        looks like this is the easiest way, and I can use it in any car. The
                        downside is the place the guy on the Mustang forum got his from is out
                        of stock right now. sheeeeesh.

Tom

Comment

Honestly I try to follow that rule as much as possible, but I grew up
                          with a penny pinching dad, so I have to fight it. Thats a reason I
                          bought the Avanti years ago, and the Impala back in 2002. Now I am
                          back thinking about the GTO I passed on earlier this month. We'll see.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Laemmle

It's only money, means nothing when you are dead.......enjoy life today...tomorrow is promised to nobody.

Comment

Working...
                          X