Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Overdrive Transmission for 1949 2R5

This turned up on Craigslist.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3643 small.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1755432

Research on this forum lead me to believe that it will fit on my Champion engine truck, so I bought it. I do not know the year of it or if it has a 6 or 12 volt solenoid. I will buy the 5th Avenue Overdrive Manual. I can check its fit for a winter project. If I find a drive shaft, then I can install it. I presume I will be able to drive it without the overdrive being operable.

I have none of the accessories that operate it. Has anyone had luck wiring the solenoid with just a switch on the dash to make it engage or dis-engage like an electrically operated shift to a 4th gear?

Look for my thread there is some good info from some knowledgeable people. It is on the 3rd or 4th. page of the tech section.

Comment

There really is not that much "Equipment" needed to make your Overdrive correctly operational, and you will be SO glad you did after you try it.

Kickdown Switch
      Cable with O.D. Handle
      Cable Bracket to dash.
      Wire to Ignition Switch
      Wires to Solenoid
      Wire from Governor to Solenoid
      Rig a bracket or buy original Throttle bracket for kickdown switch.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I wired a simple switch to provide power to the OD solenoid so that anytime my electrical decides to act up I can use that. It works.

Drive shaft will be your biggest headache, either you'll have to have one made, or find one. I think you can take your original and if it bolts up in the front, just have it cut down to fit.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I will look at the recommendations. As for the small parts noted in post #4, I think the only way to find them is to find a scrap car that may have them. I do not know of any anywhere near Virginia. I will keep looking. I found the transmission, 200 miles away, so maybe someday I will find the rest. I want to have a different drive shaft cut to fit. I want to keep the one I am using whole in case I have to go back to using it.

Comment

The parts are out there. Some of the people on this forum may have what you need. Also try the tuck forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885 Lots of helpful people there. My brother and I are about to go through this on his 56 pickup. We got the transmission and driveshaft from a friend who had a pars truck, but we need the other bits. There are work arounds for almost everything but the solenoid.
            I just recently fixed the overdrive in my 52. I had to do some close reading before checking out the electrical parts, but it is fairly simple.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Many of the OD trans control parts (bell crank, etc) are unique to the trucks, so some of the pieces on a car may not transfer easily.

If the solenoid has a long number beginning with 11 stamped on it, it's a Delco and I can look it up to determine if it's 6 or 12 volts.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

if you're talking about mating that behind a 2R5 (Champ engine), you should see a stamping on the case either marked: T96 or T86..... Do I see T85 on your tranny ?

Comment

I think we have clearly decided that this is a T-86 Overdrive from a '51 to '57 Car or maybe, a BIG MAYBE it's a Truck T-90 with the T-86 Case which is how they were built, the short Tail and either 6 or 12 Volt Electrics depending on year.

it is basically now only about the INPUT Shaft, '50 Commander 6, Truck and V8, or Champion 6 2R5 Truck.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If we had a photo of the input shaft, we could see the difference in the relative diameters. Or, one could measure them.

The OP's photo stops short of giving us the information we need. A small pan to the left would do the trick.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

missed the T86...

Comment

I was out of town for the weekend. I came back to find more advice. Thank you all for your help. The case has 'T86E-1A' in raised letters. The pilot shaft measures 0.750 OD. There are 10 splines at 1.125 OD. The machined diameter of the case behind the splines measures 1.495 OD. I will have to do some cleaning before I find numbers on the solenoid.

I will do some more studying. The parts manual shows the can looking thing that is shown in my photo to be 0731-1, the solenoid. Before I looked it up I presumed the smaller can looking thing that is not shown in the photo would be the solenoid because it has a wire attached. The parts manual shows that piece to be 0731-27, the governor. I will clean and find the solenoid part number.

I have gotten good help from the truck forum in the past. I will ask about the linkage parts there.

Comment

I checked two of the transmissions in my pile. Both have .75 pilot diameters and the splines measured the same as yours.

However, there was a significant difference in input shaft length between the two. The one I THINK is from a truck measured 8" from the tip of the input shaft to the machined surface on the front of the transmission. The one I THINK is from a car measured 6.5" from tip to face.

Is the truck bell housing deeper than the one in the car?

Generally the trucks got upgraded transmission size and clutch size that for the same engine in a car. In this instance, a Champion engine truck would rate the same transmission and clutch as a Commander car.

I would think either a car T-86 or a truck T-90 would work in your truck as long as the input shaft is the correct one. The T-90 is basically a T-86 with tougher/lower intermediate gears and a different input shaft.

Guys who know more about transmissions than me can certainly add to this or maybe explain it better.

The big long can with two wires is the solenoid. It actually pushes the transmission into overdrive when told to and lets it come out of overdrive when told to.

The small one on the rear with one wire is the governor. It tells the electrical system that the vehicle is going fast enough to go into overdrive.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I have a scrap engine that included a straight drive transmission. I was told it is from a 1953 truck. I compared that transmission to the overdrive one I show in post #1. The case of the OD unit has 'T86E-1A' in raised letters. The case of the ST unit has 'T86E-1' in raised letters. The pilot shaft diameters and lengths are different, 0.750 OD x 2 inches long for the OD unit, 0.625 OD x 1.125 inches long for the ST unit. There are 10 splines at 1.125 OD on both transmissions. The spline length is 2 inches long for the OD unit, 1.5 inches long for the ST unit. The machined diameter and length of the case behind the splines measures 1.495 OD x 3.625 long on both units. This part appears to be the same for both transmissions and is shown in the parts manual as 0701-8 for both transmissions. Both are stamped 'T88-6'. The overdrive unit is marked R10B-1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3645.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1715870

It looks like the transmission I bought will not fit my truck. I have not removed the transmission from my truck to check. For now I presume that it will be the same as the straight drive transmission that I have.

Is it possible that the input shafts may be interchangeable between the two transmissions?

I found a Borg-Warner manual for the overdrive unit. I know nothing about overdrive operation now. It seems to me from reading this instruction that if the unit is in good mechanical condition, and I wire it properly, then the governor will engage and disengage the overdrive based on the speed of the vehicle. The linkages that I was worried about finding seem only to operate the kickdown. I believe from what I find on this forum that I can make a kickdown with a switch that I can push when I want to kickdown. I found a source for the kickdown, bracket only, on the truck forum.

It looks like if I can exchange input shafts, the OD transmission is in good condition, I can find a drive shaft to make into one that will fit, I buy the bracket, find the kickdown switch, wire it all up, then I may be able to make this change.

Comment

I think you should remove the transmission from your truck and see if the input shaft matches the overdrive transmission you have. If not, the input shafts should be interchangeable, although it will be a bit of work.

Does your truck have a three speed or a four speed?

Another thing to check before removing anything. I THINK the trucks have the starters on the opposite side as the cars. The car starter will be on the driver side and the truck starter will be on the passenger side. If you still have the bell housing from the spare three speed, you can look at it and see if the engine/transmission combo actually came from a truck or a car.

Actually, if the spare engine is a Champion 169, then the whole shebang did come from a truck, because the transmission is a T-86.

Comment

Working...
                              X