Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

found in rear end ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: found in rear end ?

Can someone tell me what this is? I open the back of the rear end up and this fell out. Before I start taking it apart, in my 1954 champion couple. Thanks for helping me get the axle out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170724_170440_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1755395

Name:	20170724_170449_resized.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1755396

Name:	20170724_170455_resized.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1755397
    Last edited by barry gibbons; 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM.

Something that does NOT belong there!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Metal or plastic, magnetic attraction or not?

Comment

It metal and magnetic

Comment

Phew,

That's a relief. Based on the title, I was afraid to open the thread - was imagining some gross thing found during a colonoscopy.

Do those Stude differentials have a magnet in them to collect the wear powder? If so, maybe it came loose?
          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
          Kenmore, Washington
          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
          '69 Pontiac Firebird
          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

When I meant magnetic. I meant that it could be pick up with a magnet. It not a magnet. It made of some type of steel.

Comment

Looking at the parts manual could this be a half of a thrust washer? 1954 champion coulpe

Comment

Can't help you with that one. Doesn't look like anything familiar to me.

I once disassembled a Corvette engine that had never been apart.

There was an ear ring in the bottom of the pan.

Comment

I had a 3.07:1 twin traction rear axle that came out of a '63 R2 Super Lark, and decided to put it in my '64 GT Hawk R1/Powershift car prior to driving to the International Meet in Dearborn MI. The Hawk had a 3.54:1 axle in it, and I wanted to get the highway rpm down because I knew we would be traveling 75 - 80 mph on that trip .

When I pulled the rear cover off, there were a bunch of pieces of metal in the bottom of the axle, pretty good sized chunks. When I got it all out, it was obvious what it was -- a square boss drain plug, the same size as what would go into a Dana 44. Unknown as to how it got in there (did someone on the Dana assembly line leave it in there, or did someone tighten the plug so tight that it fell into the axle?), but the amazing thing was the gears looked fine, no damage to be seen.

Rear axle did fine on that trip, no noise, no issues with the Twin Traction on sharp turns, etc. In fact, it's still in the car.

Weird.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                    Can't help you with that one. Doesn't look like anything familiar to me.

I once disassembled a Corvette engine that had never been apart.

There was an ear ring in the bottom of the pan.
                    An ear ring (worn by a person who dislikes you) dropped into the oil pan (via valve cover or oil spout) is a Voodoo spell (curse) that is designed to make your engine run poorly as long as you own the car!!

Treblig
                    Last edited by Treblig; 07-25-2017, 06:55 AM.

Comment

My Dad had this car and my brother don't believe he every had it off. I'll turn the gears and don't see any thing else in there and gears look good.

Comment

I cannot get a sense of scale of how big this really is, but it looks like a punch-out blank from a cover or maybe from a bearing cage.
                        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

I found this in a Chilton's 54-63 manual' In the picture near the bolts number 21. Their is a part that above the bolts. If you zoom in it look like the part that i found but in pieces but it has no name or number. Do you know what it might be. Another item number 25 on the differential pinion is another possibility does any one know if the thrust washer is cone shape? I want to know before it's taken apart.
                          Just looking and turning the gears I see nothing wrong. If I can't fine what it is Is their a person that works on these rear end in the Huntsville Al. area.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170804_152846.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1715818

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                            Phew,

That's a relief. Based on the title, I was afraid to open the thread - was imagining some gross thing found during colonoscopy
                            😳 HAHAHAHAHAHA that's awesome
                            1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

The picture is so small that the part doesn't show up well. Enlarging it just blurs it.
                              Attached Files
                              "In the heart of Arkansas."
                              Searcy, Arkansas
                              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X