Power Steering for 53 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering for 53 Commander

Looking for a way to have power steering on our 53 Commander coupe. The car has the 232 V8. The power steering would allow my wife to drive and enjoy the car.

john brayton
    John Brayton

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc...TOPIC_ID=15105

Scroll through the above thread; 'BuddyMander' used a Mitsubishi Montero PS box and the best pasrt is not only does the car look stock, the tie rod geometry did not change either
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Bendix mechanical power steering (a real Rube Goldberg device) was introduced with the '53 model year. Studebaker never really got the bugs out of it, and only a few were ever produced...and probably those were recalled. By late '53/early '54 a more conventional (hydraulic) type of power steering was available. The type of hydraulic power steering changed over the years, but I would think any type that was in a C/K from '54 to '64 could be retrofitted to your car.

I have never owned a C/K with power steering (and I've owned several) and never saw the need for it. With a rebuilt steering box, rebuilt suspension, and good tires of the correct size, they steer quite easily...slow, but easily. The later Ross boxes or the early Saginaw boxes are the best.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
      X